Alfred Poynt Award in Poetry
Contest opens Friday, March 1, 2019!
In the spirit of stimulating the imagination, promoting creativity, and fostering appreciation of English language skills and the art of poetry, the Department of English and Writing Studies is pleased to offer the annual Alfred Poynt Award in Poetry made in accordance with the wishes and through the generosity of the late Alfred R. Poynt of London, Ontario.
The winning entry will receive a prize of $350.
- Poems must be submitted/postmarked no later than Monday, April 1, 2019.
- Participants must be full-time students registered in any undergraduate (baccalaureate) program at Western University, including Affiliates.
- Previous first-prize winners are not eligible.
- The winner will be notified by email no later than May.
- The results will be posted on the Department of English website and social media channels.
Submission and judging criteria:
- Entries to be submitted in hard copy to: Poynt Competition, Department of English and Writing Studies, University College, Room 2401, Western University.
- Poems must be in English and may use any style of poetry.
- Poems will be judged for their originality and for their use of form and technique, traditional or contemporary, in a skillful and creative way to create or intensify themes or effects.
- Total entry not to exceed 4 pages. Maximum 150 lines. Entries might be one longer poem or several shorter poems.
- Entries must be original, titled, previously unpublished, and not currently under evaluation for publication.
- Poems must be typed on 8.5 x 11 paper in 12-point type.
- Entries cannot be returned. Entrants retain their copyright.
- Submissions will be numbered and coded before the judging by a contest organizer who is not a judge.
- Submission must include a cover page marked Poynt Competition with the following information:
- your name
- student number
- permanent mailing address
- telephone number
- email address
- title of poem(s)
- do not include your name on the poem page
- no staples
- contest name: Alfred Poynt Award in Poetry
Inquiries to: Shelli Hunter | email@example.com
Adjudication will be done by a volunteer panel of published writers from London and/or the University community selected by the competition organizer. The decision of the judges will be final.
|Year||First prize||Title||Honourable Mention||Adjudicators|
|2018||Jonathan Pavey||"Unbecoming"||Camille Intson||Emily Izsak, Kevin Shaw, and Blair Trewartha|
|2017||Marta Croll-Baehre||"The Basin Woman"||Hilary Doyle||Matthew Godden, Angie Quick, Andy Verboom|
|2016||Emma Croll-Baehre||"Whereabouts i, ii, iii"||Marta Croll-Baehre||Jason Dickson, Mike O'Connor, Peggy Roffey|
|2015||Sakariya Ahmed||"Foreigner"||Robyn Obermeyer||Laurie D. Graham, Ola Nowosad, Ron Stewart|
|2014||Katherine O’Reilly||"On the Night Before Your Father's Funeral"||Robyn Obermeyer||Adrienne Barrett, Frank Beltrano, Karen Schindler|
|2013||Kerrie McNair||Alex Carey|
|2012||Laura Johnson||Erin Lamotte|
|2011||Mark MacKichan||John Vincent|
|2010||Millie Ho||John Vincent|
|2009||Saiyid Hasan||Malory Smith|
|2008||Amy Sanders||Brooke Nolan|
|2007||Kevin Shaw||Laura Krahn|
|2006||David Barrick||Sara Clarke, Kevin Shaw|
|2005||Asher Ghaffar||Jessica Balmer|