Undergraduate Essay Prize
Congratulations Gillian Nangreave, winner of the 2018 Undergraduate Essay Prize for her paper “Polyphony, Structure, and Social Order in ‘The Miller’s Tale’.”
Gillian looks at Geoffrey Chaucer’s Miller both as a character and a narrator to argue that he occupies a liminal space within the social hierarchy of late fourteenth century England, and that he tells a tale which seeks to expand that social middle ground, thus obscuring the rigid social divisions established by The Knight’s Tale. The prize adjudication committee noted the depth of the research in the paper and the persuasiveness of Gillian’s argument, particularly as it draws together several threads of current scholarship.
Gillian will be returning to Western in the Fall, as she has already been accepted to Western’s Master’s program in English literature. Congratulations to Gillian, and to all of those who submitted their excellent work for consideration.
Submissions are now closed. Thank you to all those who entered!
A prize of $200 is awarded annually for the best essay submitted for credit within the current academic year by an undergraduate student registered in an English, Writing, Film, Theatre or Medieval Studies course at the 2200 level and above.
- Entries must be submitted by Friday, April 13, 2018.
- Entries will be adjudicated based on the quality of their research and academic writing.
- Eligible essays should receive a mark of at least 85%.
- One entry per student.
- Entries must be work submitted to a course offered through English and Writing in a course numbered 2200-4990 (including Writing, Film, Theatre and Medieval Studies).
- The submission must be the graded paper, with instructor comments (photocopy is fine).
- Submissions may not have been hitherto published or won an award in any other competition.
- Previous winners are not eligible.
- Entries must be submitted in hard copy only to the Department of English and Writing Studies, 2G02G Arts & Humanities Building, Western University with the following information:
- student name
- student number
- email address
- telephone number
- contest name: Undergraduate Essay Prize
- The winning entry will be named by April 30, 2018.
- The winner will be notified by email.
- The results will be posted on the Department of English website and social media channels.
Inquiries to: Shelli Hunter | firstname.lastname@example.org