Art History | AH
Study art and visual culture in its social and political context. Western’s Art History program focuses on global networks of cultural exchange and is committed to interdisciplinary approaches informed by critical theory. This field of study develops cross-cultural understanding and a global perspective from the Renaissance and Baroque eras, in Mesoamerican, Hispanic American, Canadian, and Contemporary Art, Architecture, and Design, as well as Photography, Film and New Media.
AH 1641A/B: Art History and Visual Culture: Ancient to Renaissance
The course provides a study of painting, sculpture, and architecture through considerations of the cultural environments within which they were produced, with a focus on Western art from the ancient eras through Renaissance periods.
AH 2600F/B: Theories and Practices in Art History and Visual Culture
A brief introduction to historical and contemporary theories, methods, and practices for the study of art history and visual culture.
AH 2676F/G: Introduction to Design
This course examines the history and practice of modern design from the end of the 19th century to the present day. It outlines some of the fundamental principles of design, as well as looking at its political and sociocultural impact.
AH 3660F/G: Hollywood and Art
This course explores the relationship between film and the visual arts, from the invention of cinema to contemporary visual artists who have made Hollywood film the subject of their work.
Courses in the Major in Art History include:
- AH 1641A/B: Art History and Visual Culture: Ancient to Renaissance
- AH 2600F/B: Theories and Practices in Art History and Visual Culture
- AH 2630F/G: Pre-Contact American Art and Architecture
- AH 2650F/G: History of Photography
- AH 2676F/G: Introduction to Design
- AH 3620F/G: Race & Gender in the Pre-Modern World
- AH 3660F/G: Hollywood and Art
- AH 3674F/G: Sustainability and Art
- AH 4600F/G/Z: Art History Honors Seminar
- AH 4670F/G: Seminar in Architecture and Urbanism or Design
See all Art History courses on the Academic Calendar:
Study Art History at Western University
Please contact our Undergraduate Chair
Prof. C. Barteet