Financial Services

Requirements of Other Government Agencies

Most Canadian legislation and associated regulations have provisions to deal with the import and export of goods and services. The requirements of Other Government Agencies and Departments must be met prior to the release of goods by Canada Customs or the export of the goods from Canada. Failure to ensure the appropriate permits and licenses are secured in advance of the movement of the goods may result in rejection, forfeiture and destruction of a shipment.

Fines in some cases can be substantial for failing to obtain the necessary permissions.

The following is a list of common types of controls. This is by no means all inclusive. Refer to the web links indicated or contact the Customs and Logistics team for assistance.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)

Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)

Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC)

See Occupational Health and Safety regarding the importation of any radioactive substance or device

Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada

See also Exports & Imports Permits Act

Health Canada

It is the responsibility of the Canadian importer or exporter to ensure the necessary permissions have been received prior to initiating shipment.

Where guidance is required, please contact the Customs and Logistics team.