Financial Services Financial Services

Travel & Expense Reimbursement

The Travel and Expense Reimbursement function within Financial Services is responsible for the timely reimbursement of travel and other expenses incurred when carrying out the business of Western University.

Travel and expense claims are submitted to Financial Services for reimbursement via the following methods:

Online PeopleSoft Expense Report

All expense claims for employees of Western University must be submitted and approved using Western’s Online Travel & Expense System.

An employee would prepare an online expense claim through PeopleSoft and submit the supporting documentation to their designated approver for review. Once the approver has reviewed the expense report, the expense claim is submitted online and, for audit backup purposes, the supporting documentation is mailed to:

Accounts Payable and Travel
Support Services Building, Suite 6100
1393 Western Road
London, ON N6G 1G9

To learn more about how to complete a Travel or Expense claim, visit the Training & Reference page > Corporate Accounting > Travel & Expense Reimbursement.

Reimbursements are processed independent of the payroll cycle either via Electronic Funds Transfer or cheque.

Paper Claim Form

Manual claims will only be accepted for non-employees (e.g. student, visiting professors, etc.). Individuals seeking reimbursement for expenses related to Western University activities must fill out and submit a paper travel expense claim form (which can be accessed from the Financial Services forms page). Claim forms must be signed by the unit or Account Holder, and forwarded with original, itemized receipts to:

Accounts Payable and Travel
Support Services Building, Suite 6100
1393 Western Road
London, ON N6G 1G9

Travel Expense Claim forms received by Financial Services are entered manually into PeopleSoft and subsequently, a reimbursement cheque will be mailed to the address specified on the claim form.

Please note that paper travel and expense claims will have longer processing times than claims submitted using the online expense claim module in PeopleSoft.

Cash Advances

In some cases, where an employee needs to provide payment in advance of travel or events, a request for a cash advance may be submitted using Western’s Online Travel & Expense System. The request for a cash advance must be greater than $1,000 for travel expenses, or $200 in the case of subject fees. Cash advances are not eligible for amounts greater than $5,000. After the trip or event is completed, a Travel and Expense claim must be created. It is important to ensure that the cash advance issued for that travel or event is applied against the claim at that time. All cash advances should be cleared no later than 60 days after the end of the trip or event.

Additional Reference Material

MAPP 2.16 Travel & Expense Reimbursement Policy and Procedures

Western University’s established guidelines for all business related travel and expenses paid from all University administered funds may be found on the Policies and Procedures page.

This Policy is in accordance with all applicable federal and provincial legislation including, but not limited to, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the Treasury Board of Canada Travel Directive and the Broader Public Sector (BPS) Accountability Act and all related directives.

Broader Public Sector (BPS) Act

The Government of Ontario has established Procurement and Expenses Directives for open, fair and transparent financial practices at all Broader Public Sector organizations, including Western University. Compliance is mandatory.

Pertinent information on the Procurement Directive is available on the Government of Ontario’s website:

Mileage (Kilometric) Rates

The kilometric reimbursement rates for use of a private vehicle while on approved University business are found on the Treasury Board website using the link below:

The kilometric reimbursement rate is updated by the Treasury Board on a quarterly basis (January 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and October 1st).

Note that it is relatively expensive to use a private vehicle for long distance travel to places like Toronto or Detroit. Alternative forms of transportation, such as car rental, are often more economical and are encouraged whenever possible.

For example, car rental costs range from $80 - $95 for a one-day trip to Toronto and return, depending on whether the rental is a compact or a full size 6 passenger car. This includes gasoline and taxes and assumes the ScotiaBank VISA Travel Card is used to avoid insurance costs.

Meal Reimbursement Rates

For meals incurred on University-related business, individuals now have a choice of claiming either:

1. Meal allowances:

Meal allowances are permitted regardless of the funding sources, unless specifically disallowed by the granting agency.

2. Actual meal costs supported by original itemized receipts, up to the maximum allowable Treasury Board Meal rates.  These rates are found on the Treasury Board website using the links below:

Appendix C - Canada and USA

Appendix D - Outside Canada and USA

The meal and accommodation guidelines are updated by the Treasury Board on a semi-annual basis (April 1st and October 1st). Please ensure you are reviewing the rates in effect as of the date of travel.

Please also note that meal reimbursements are not eligible for any meals that are included in the cost of the transportation fare, conference fee, accommodation charge, or other associated fees. 

For information about travel contracts for your travel needs (i.e. FCm Travel Solutions, hotel rates, air or  train travel, vehicle rental), go to: Preparing to Travel.

Contact Information

Please direct all travel and expense report inquiries to:

Accounts Payable and Travel
Support Services Building, Suite 6100
1393 Western Road
London, ON N6G 1G9
P: (519) 661-2111 Ext. 85499