Beach Volleyball Regulations
The Intramural sport convener may modify these rules at their discretion. The Intramural sport convener and officials have the discretion to rule on any matter not covered by these rules.
Click here for Intramurals eligibility rules.
• For 4’s divisions, a minimum of 3 (three) players are needed to play a game. For 2’s divisions, a minimum of 2 (two) players are needed to play a game (Maximum roster size = 10 [4’s] & 6 [2’s]).
• All games will begin at exactly 10 minutes after the scheduled time. Exceeding this time will result in a default.
• For the Coed divisions, a maximum of 2 players from each sex are allowed on the court at one time. You may not substitute a male for a female, or vice versa.
A. HOUSE RULES
In General, our rules are governed by FIVB. Please see our House Rules below for exceptions.
I.Games are self-officiated, but a supervisor will be present at all games to handle any rule discrepancies.
II. For 4’s Division: The server may not act as an attacker.
III.All matches will be a best 2 out of 3 games. The first 2 games are played to 25 points with a cap at 27, and the third game is played to 15 points with a cap at 17.
IV.The court boundary lines are marked by ropes/tape.
V. Jump volleys over the net are not permitted.
VI. No jump serves are permitted in the Rec leagues.
VII. Substitutions can be made once per rotation.
VIII. 1 of each gender must touch the ball in a 3-touch play before the ball goes over the net.
IX. First contact can be a volley.
B. EQUIPMENT & UNIFORMS
• Proper gym attire. Running shoes may be worn if needed.
C. OVERTIME PROCEDURES
• The first 2 games are played to 25 points with a cap at 27, and the third game is played to 15 points with a cap at 17.
• Will follow the same format as the regular season.
Campus Recreation Intramural Sports at Western University holds sportsmanship as “Our Golden Rule of Sport”. Sportsmanship is a great tradition in sports and competition that means playing clean, handling both victory and defeat with grace, style, and dignity, respecting the judgment of referees and officials, and treating opponents with respect. Sportsmanship is a style and an attitude, and it can have a positive influence on everyone around you.
• Games will continue to be played during all weather conditions except: if thunder is heard, games will be suspended for 15 minutes. If no thunder or lightning are seen or heard in the 15 minutes, games will continue. If thunder and lightning persist, games will be cancelled and rescheduled, if possible. If lightning is seen, games will be immediately cancelled and rescheduled, if possible.
• Field conditions will be monitored by Intramural staff who may suspend games at any time if they believe the field is unplayable.
• When in doubt, players should expect the game to be played and arrive at the field on time. If games get/are to be cancelled the sport convener will send out a message to those affected as soon as the decision to cancel has been made.
I. Cancelled Games (due to weather, space conflicts etc.) will be rescheduled whenever possible to ensure you get the Intramural experience you paid for, however facility availability is limited, and games may not always be able to be rescheduled.
II.Team Requests for a Reschedule - Unfortunately, once our schedules are released online we only make changes due to facility closure, etc.
III. If you need to reschedule a game, email your opponent to gain their permission to a possible rescheduling. Only if the opponent agrees to a change of game time can you email your Intramural sport convener at least 48 hours prior to the game with your request (and proof of opponent’s agreement). Requests will be accommodated when possible, but are not guaranteed. If you wish to swap game times with another game in your division, you must contact the captains of all teams involved in the game swap. The swap can only occur if all parties agree. This must be completed at least 48 hours prior to the originally scheduled game. Proof of all agreements must be sent to the Sport Convener before the game time swap can be executed.
IV. Forfeit the game: If you give at least 48 hours’ notice to your sport specific convener that your team won't be playing and that the game is a ‘forfeit’. You will lose the game, but not your Performance Bond or playoff eligibility.