The Intramural sport convener may modify these rules at their discretion. The Intramural sport convener and officials have the discretion to rule on any matter not covered by these rules.
Click here for Intramurals eligibility rules.
A. HOUSE RULES
In general, our rules are governed by Badminton Canada. Please see our house rules below for exceptions.
I. Matches shall consist of 2 games to 21, with a cap at 25. Teams must win by two points, unless it is the 25th point, at which time they can win by one. During the regular season, ties are allowed if each team wins a game
II. Duration of matches shall not exceed 30 minutes. Should the match go longer than 30 minutes, the game will end with the score at that time being the final of that game.
III. Teams will play two matches each week. A team is not allowed to switch players during a match. They may switch players before the next match is set to begin.
IV. All games are self-officiated. Should there be a dispute, players may ask the supervisor for clarification. Should there still be a dispute, players will replay the point.
V. There will be a supervisor onsite at all times. Teams must sign in with the supervisor before their games, and show valid photo ID upon request. Teams are to report the score of each game to the supervisor for recording.
VI. Teams must show up at their scheduled game times. If a team is 10 minutes late, they will default that match. A minimum of 1 player for singles and 2 players for doubles (1 male and 1 female for coed) must be at each game.
• Players are encouraged to bring their own racquets; however there are racquets available to rent from the Equipment lending desk in the Western Student Recreation Centre.
• Birdies will be provided; however should both teams agree they may play with their own birdie if it is preferred.
• Format will be determined by the Intramural sport convener and communicated to participants before the start of playoffs.
• Should teams be tied after 2 games, teams will progress to a third game to 15, with a cap at 17. The 30 minute time limit will not apply during playoffs; however players are encouraged to keep the speed of play up so that all games can get in. The supervisor will be in charge on ensuring that games move at an appropriate speed.
• In the event of a problem with lights or leakages, captains will be notified and games will be rescheduled, if possible.
• When in doubt, players should expect the game to be played and arrive at the indoor facility on time. If games get/are to be cancelled the sport convener will send out a message to those affected as soon as the decision to cancel has been made.
I. Cancelled Games (due to weather, space conflicts etc.) will be rescheduled whenever possible to ensure you get the Intramural experience you paid for, however facility availability is limited, and games may not always be able to be rescheduled.
II. Team Requests for a Reschedule - Unfortunately, once our schedules are released online we only make changes due to facility closure, etc.
III.If you need to reschedule a game, email your opponent to gain their permission to a possible rescheduling. Only if the opponent agrees to a change of game time can you email your Intramural sport convener at least 48 hours prior to the game with your request (and proof of opponent’s agreement). Requests will be accommodated when possible, but are not guaranteed. If you wish to swap game times with another game in your division, you must contact the captains of all teams involved in the game swap. The swap can only occur if all parties agree. This must be completed at least 48 hours prior to the originally scheduled game. Proof of all agreements must be sent to the Sport Convener before the game time swap can be executed.
IV. Forfeit the game: If you give at least 48 hours’ notice to your sport specific convener that your team won't be playing and that the game is a ‘forfeit’. You will lose the game, but not your Performance Bond.