Dr. Robert Shcherbakov
Non-Linear Geophysics/Statistical Seismology
Earthquake physics and statistics; Temporal and spatial scaling properties of earthquakes and aftershocks; Induced seismicity; Earthquake hazard assessment and forecasting; Large-scale computer simulations of seismicity; Applications of continuum damage mechanics to fracture processes in solids, rocks, and the Earth crust; Planetary volcanism and geodynamics; Self-organized critical behavior in nonlinear dissipative complex systems.
For more detailed information please check my Research Website.
- R. Shcherbakov, J. Davidsen, and K.F. Tiampo, "Record-breaking avalanches in driven threshold systems", Phys. Rev. E, 87 (2013) 052811, doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.87.052811.
- L. Sanchez and R. Shcherbakov, "Scaling properties of planetary calderas and terrestrial volcanic eruptions", Nonlin. Proc. Geophys., 19 (2012) 585-593, doi:10.5194/npg-19-585-2012.
- L. Sanchez and R. Shcherbakov, "Temporal scaling of volcanic eruptions", J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., 247-248 (2012) 115-121, doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2012.08.004.
- K.F. Tiampo and R. Shcherbakov, "Seismicity-based earthquake forecasting: Ten years of progress", Tectonophysics, 522-523 (2012) 89-121, doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2011.08.019.
- P. Bhattacharya, M. Phan, and R. Shcherbakov, "Statistical analysis of the 2002 Mw 7.9 Denali earthquake aftershock sequence", Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 101 (2011) 2662-2674, doi:10.1785/0120100336.
- R. Shcherbakov, D.L. Turcotte, J.B. Rundle, K.F. Tiampo, and J.R. Holliday, "Forecasting the locations of future large earthquakes: An analysis and verification", Pure Appl. Geophys., 167 (2010) 743-749, doi:10.1007/s00024-010-0069-1.
- R. Shcherbakov, G. Yakovlev, D.L. Turcotte, and J.B. Rundle, "Model for the distribution of aftershock interoccurrence times", Phys. Rev. Lett., 95 (2005) 218501, doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.218501.
- Earth Sciences 2220: Environmental and Exploration Geophysics I
- Earth Sciences 4421: Physics of the Earth II
- Earth Sciences 4490E: Senior Thesis
- Geophysics 9530: Advanced Physics of the Earth
- Ryan Kahue, PhD Geophysics Candidate
- Xiaoming Zhang, Ph.D. Geophysics Candidate
I am looking for motivated students both for Ph.D. and M.Sc. research projects in the areas of the physics of earthquakes, induced seismicity, computational volcanology, continuum damage mechanics, statistical seismology, etc. Prospective students have to possess strong skills in scientific computer modelling and background in physics/geophysics with emphasis on theory.