Dr. Rob Schincariol
Ph.D. The Ohio State University, 1993
Office: BGS 0174
Lab: BGS 1008
Phone: (519) 661-2111 x.83732
Fax: (519) 661-3198
My general research area is hydrogeology, which deals with the subsurface movement of water and the various physical and chemical interactions of this water within geological environments. These basinal environments naturally "spill onto" the surface hydrology environments of watersheds, rivers, and lake systems. Hydrogeology is by nature an interdisciplinary field since it applies principles of fluid physics, mathematics, chemistry, biogeochemistry and engineering within a geological environment. Specifically, my research focuses on (1) the physical and chemical phenomena associated with the subsurface transport of contaminants, (2) subsurface heat transport, (3) permafrost hydrogeology, and (4) watershed hydrology. My expertise lies in the area of contaminant hydrogeology, low- temperature geothermal energy, permafrost hydrogeology, and physical hydrology.
- Mohammed, A., R.A. Schincariol, W.L. Quinton, R.M. Nagare, and G.N. Flerchinger, 2017. On the use of mulching to mitigate permafrost thaw due to linear disturbances in sub-arctic peatlands, Ecological Engineering, 102, 207-223, DOI:10.1016/j.ecoleng.2017.02.020.
- Dehkordi, S.E., R.A. Schincariol, and S. Reitsma, 2015. Thermal performance of a tight borehole heat exchanger, Renewable Energy, 83, 698-704, DOI:10.1016/j.renene.2015.04.051.
- Nakevska, N., R.A. Schincariol, S. Dehkordi, and B. Cheadle, 2015. Geothermal waste heat utilization from in-situ thermal bitumen recovery operations, Groundwater, 53(2), 251-260, DOI:10.1111/gwat.12196.
- Dehkordi, S.E., R.A. Schincariol, and B. Olofsson, 2015. Impact of groundwater flow and energy load on multiple borehole heat exchangers, Groundwater, 53(4), 558-571, DOI:10.1111/gwat.12256.
- Mohammed, A., R.A. Schincariol, R.M. Nagare, and W.L. Quinton, 2014. Reproducing field-scale active layer thaw in the lab, Vadose Zone Journal, 13(8), DOI:10.2136/vzj2014.01.0008, 9 pp.
- Dehkordi, S.E., and R.A. Schincariol, 2014. Guidelines and the design approach for vertical geothermal heat pump systems: current status and perspective, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 51(6), 647-662, DOI:10.1139/cgj-2012-0205.
- Dehkordi, S.E., and R.A. Schincariol, 2014. Effect of thermal-hydrogeological and borehole heat exchanger properties on performance and impact of vertical closed loop geothermal heat pump systems, Hydrogeology Journal, 22(1), 189-203, DOI:10.1007/s10040-013-1060-6.
- Nagare, R.M., R.A. Schincariol, A. Mohammed, W.L. Quinton, and M. Hayashi, 2013. Measuring saturated hydraulic conductivity and anisotropy of peat by a modified split container method, Hydrogeology Journal, 21(2), 515-520, DOI:10.1007/s10040-012-0930-7.
- Nagare, R.M., R.A. Schincariol, W.L. Quinton, and M. Hayashi, 2012. Moving the field into the lab: Simulation water and heat transport in sub-Arctic peat, Permafrost and Periglacial Processes, 23(3), 237-243, DOI:10.1002/ppp.1746.
- Nagare, R.M., R.A. Schincariol, W.L. Quinton, M. Hayashi, 2012. Effects of freezing on soil temperature, freezing front propagation and moisture redistribution in peat: laboratory investigations, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 16, 501-515, DOI:10.5194/hess-16-501-2012.
- Earth Sciences 2281B: Geology for Engineers
- Earth Sciences 3340A: Watershed Hydrology
- Earth Sciences 4440B: Hydrogeology: Principles, Processes & Professional Practice
- Geology 9540B: Hydrogeology: Principles, Processes & Professional Practice
- Ronan Drysdale, MSc Geology Candidate
Dr. Schincariol currently has openings for M.Sc. and Ph.D. students interested in geothermal energy, primarily the thermal performance, sustainability, and impact of borehole heat exchangers (BHE’s) within hydrogeological environments. These projects include application of BHE’s for utilizing subsurface waste heat generated in bitumen recovery operations and in mitigating permafrost degradation. An integrated approach is used including field, lab, and numerical simulations.