Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
Support during COVID-19 restrictions
Your EFAP services with Morneau Shepell continue to be available to you and your family. Counsellors are available to provide support through telephone, videoconference, secure email and chat. If you or a family member are looking for support, EFAP is ready to help.
These Morneau Shepell resources may be helpful:
- Emotional Well-Being During COVID-19 (24 minute video) - practical tips for you and your family.
- Read Tips for Coping from your EFAP
- Read Resiliency - adapting to change and challenges
- Talking to your Child about COVID-19 (20 min. video)
- CoronaVirus COVID-19 (12 min. video)
While not EFAP sponsored, these wellness resources may be of interest:
- Fitness and yoga videos and podcasts - gathered by Western's Living Well team.
- Five Tips for Working from Home (7 min. video) - from Western's Talent, Learning and Engagement team.
Orientation to EFAP - Webinar
Get to know your new EFAP by watching a 12-minute, pre-recorded webinar at your convenience. This is a quick orientation to EFAP services Western has arranged through our EFAP provider, Morneau Shepell. Watch now.
EFAP is a confidential and voluntary support service, provided by Morneau Shepell that can help you to optimize your current wellbeing, or to take the first step toward change. You can access help to find solutions to the challenges you face at any age and stage of your life.
At no cost to you, you and your family members can access immediate and confidential support in a way that is most suited to your communication preferences, comfort level and lifestyle. We know that when you and your family are well, you can bring your best self to work. EFAP is part of our efforts to continuously improve the programs we offer to support you and your family's well-being.
Counselling services are provided by experienced, Masters level counsellors. In-person counselling locations are available in London and surrounding communities. They are also available across Canada and internationally if you are travelling, on sabbatical or have a dependent studying away from home. Counselling can be done in-person, on the phone, via video or online. In addition to emergency and counselling services, EFAP offers an extensive range of services that can assist with challenges you face, and help to boost your health and wellness.
- Western has contracted with Morneau Shepell to provide services to ALL Western employees and their spouses and dependent children up to age 21, or up to age 25 if they are still in school full time.
- Counselling services are provided by experienced counsellors who are Masters level professionals.
- Counselling can be done in-person, on the phone, via video, online or by text through First Chat.
- Work-Life services can connect you to a registered nurse, dietitian, lawyer, financial advisor and other professionals. Read more about Work-Life Services available.
- Services are fully confidential within the limits of the law. No one, including Western, will ever know that you've used the services unless you tell them.
- There is no cost to you or your family to use the EFAP services.
- Services can be provided in a wide variety of languages. If your preferred language is not available a translator is provided.
- If your spouse or child accesses the services you will not know. To access services, your family members simply tell EFAP that you work for Western University.
You or a family member can contact Morneau Shepell by phone at 1-844-880-9142 or through the My EAP app to be connected with appropriate support. Identify yourself as a Western employee or if a dependent is calling, they should identify you as a Western employee to access services.
If you are experiencing a crisis situation, you can speak to a counselor right away. Otherwise a meeting will be scheduled within one to five days. Your inquiry will be answered by a caring professional who can help you choose a support option that best suits your needs and learning style. Your preference for time of day, location, specialty and way of meeting (in-person, phone, video-conference) will all be considered.
EFAP will provide a series of sessions with a professional. This short-term, solution-focused counselling model is designed to help you tackle one priority at a time. If you need more specialized or longer-term support, Morneau Shepell's team of experts can suggest an appropriate specialist or service that is best suited to your needs. While fees for these additional services are your responsibility, there may be coverage under your provincial or Western health plan.
To access online EFAP services:
- Go to www.workhealthlife.com and choose your organization - Western University.
- Look for the Register link.
- Complete the registration page, creating a password.
There are many topics Morneau Shepell counsellors can support you with - relationship challenges, family concerns, abuse, addiction, parenting, workplace conflict, mental health concerns including stress, depression and anxiety, and more.
Read more about counselling services by logging in to the workhealthlife.com website.
Ways to access counselling include:
- In-person counselling is a traditional session format, ideal for families or couples who need interaction.
- Telephonic counselling is convenient and ideal for time-restricted or travelling individuals
- Video counselling offers virtual face-to-face support, in the convenience and comfort of your home.
- E-counselling via email exchange with a Counsellor is best suited for those most comfortable with written communication. It is also ideal for travelling individuals, providing support anywhere.
- First chat provides instant support with a Counsellor online, via workhealthlife.com or through the My EAP app.
- Health and wellness resources are text-based and self-directed. Just login at www.workhealthlife.com to get access to hundreds of articles, tools and resources
In addition to counselling, Morneau Shepell provides Work-Life services that can connect you with professional help related to your work, your family, your nutrition and health, your financial situation, legal issues and more. You may be connected with a child or eldercare resource, a naturopathic doctor, a lawyer, dietician, financial professional or a registered nurse, depending on your needs and wishes.
Visit the EFAP FAQ page for a full list of questions and answers.
The EFAP recorded orientation webinar is available via Zoom and works best with the following web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0 or higher
- Google Chrome 53.0.2785 or higher
- Safari 10.0.602.1.50 or higher
- Firefox 49.0 or higher
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.