Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How do I book a Crisis appointment?

A: Visit Health and Wellness Services in Thames Hall, room 2170, during office hours, or call (519) 661-3030.

Q: What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

A: All psychologists at Mental Health Support have a doctorate degree in Psychology and are registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario as a Clinical Psychologist and/or a Counselling Psychologist. A psychiatrist holds a degree in medicine, specializing in mental health and mental disorders. Because a psychiatrist is a medical doctor, he/she is able to prescribe psychotropic medications and support patients with the medication. Mental Health Support is home to highly-trained professional staff who employ targeted change-oriented mental health strategies to support student success. Counselling at Mental Health Support is offered by psychologists, registered psychotherapists, counsellors, psychology residents, and masters-level counselling students. Student Health Support (located in UCC 11) offers counselling and medical support. With general practitioners, psychiatrists, and social workers on staff, they support students with general medical concerns in addition to more complex mental health issues that may require medication. To contact Student Health Support, please call (519) 661-3030, or (519) 661-3771 (for counselling). For more information about the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists, please see this guide.

Q: Who is eligible to access Mental Health Support?

A: Current students (undergraduate and graduate)

Q: How do I sign up for the Laura Evans Wellness Series?

A: Please visit the Group Care and Workshops for information and registration.

Q: Who will know I’m accessing Mental Health Support?

Your information is kept confidential and only shared with your consent.