Dr. Phil McCausland
Meteoritics, Tectonics, Paleomagnetism
Director, Western Paleomagnetic and Petrophysical Laboratory
Adjunct Research Professor
Ph.D. Western University, 2002
Office: BGS 0187
Labs: WSC 34, 36; BGS 1009
Phone: 519-661-2111 x.88008
Lab Website (WPPL)
I have two main areas of research that pursue Earth history and its Solar System context:
Paleomagnetism applied to the study of supercontinent assembly and dispersal, the Precambrian-Paleozoic transition, terrane tectonics and orogeny
Mineralogy and petrophysical properties of Earth & planetary materials as it relates to exploration, meteoritics, and the evolution of the Earth and small bodies of the Solar System
These are currently pursued by my research group along the following themes:
Paleogeography of the Earth: determining the Earth’s Precambrian-Paleozoic paleogeography via paleomagnetic and other techniques, as a context for understanding extreme paleoclimates, burgeoning life, and as a tracer of global geodynamics.
Tectonics of accretionary orogens and mountain belts: paleomagnetic tracking of the collision, obduction and lateral motion of crustal fragments –terranes– to investigate the mechanisms of their assembly into mountain belts (Applalachians-Caledonides, Canadian Cordillera, Central Asia).
Shock metamorphism and parent body processes in the Early Solar System: investigation of the mineralogy and petrology of meteorites as recorders of impact shock deformation, redox processes and small body evolution
Petrophysical properties, mineralogy and mineral exploration: investigation of mineralogy, density, porosity, magnetic, electrical and acoustic properties of ore deposits and their host rocks, as a guide for mineral exploration
Authors in abbreviation are students, with asterisk* are mentored students with collaborators. Record of citations is curated on Google Scholar.
- Jenkins, L.E., Flemming, R.L. and McCausland, P.J.A. 2019. Quantitative in situ XRD Measurement of Shock Metamorphism in Martian Meteorites: Lattice Strain and Strain-Related Mosaicity in Olivine. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v 54, pp 902-918, doi: 10.1111/maps.13245
- Gauthier, M.S., Hodder, T.J., Ross, M., Kelley, S.E., Rochester, A.* and McCausland, P.J.A. 2019. Glacial record of the southwestern Hudson Bay region and its significance for long-term ice sheet behaviour. Quaternary Science Reviews v 214, pp 1-27.
- Fry, C.*, Samson, C., McCausland, P.J.A., Herd, R.K., Ralchenko, M.* and McLeod, T.K.* 2018. Iron meteorite bulk densities determined via 3D laser imaging, Meteoritics and Planetary Science v 53, doi: 10.1111/maps.13067
- Oliver, P.*, Ralchenko, M.*, Samson, C., Ernst, R.E., McCausland, P.J.A. and West, G.F. 2018. Enhanced non-destructive characterization of ordinary chondrites using complex magnetic susceptibility measurements. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v 53, pp 433-447, doi: 10.1111/maps.13028
- Charles, C.R.J.*, Robin, P., Davis, D.W. and McCausland, P.J.A. 2018. The 3D structure of metal shells in armoured chondrules from the NWA 801 CR2 chondrite. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v 53, pp 935-951, doi: 10.1111/maps.13038
- McCausland, P.J.A. 2018. Fireballs. Observers Handbook 2018, The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Ed. J.S. Edgar, pp 255-256.
- Symons, D.T.A., Kawasaki, K.*, McCausland, P.J.A. and Hart, C.J.R. 2016. Paleopole for the 69 Ma Prospector Mountain Stock: A critique of the Carmacks / “Baja BC” transport estimate for Yukon, Canada. Geophysical Journal International v 208, pp 349–367, doi: 10.1093/gji/ggw398
- Pontefract, A.*, Osinski, G.R., Cockell, C.S., Southam, G., McCausland, P.J.A., Umoh, J. and Holdsworth, D.W. 2016. Microbial diversity of impact-generated habitats. Astrobiology v 16, pp 775-786, doi: 10.1089/ast.2015.1393
- Bramble, M.S., Flemming, R.L. and McCausland, P.J.A. 2015. Grain size measurement from two-dimensional micro-X-ray diffraction: Laboratory application of a radial integration technique. American Mineralogist, v. 100, p. 1899-1911, doi:10.2138/am-2015-5181
- Symons, D.T.A., McCausland, P.J.A.. Kawasaki, K.* and Hart, C.R. 2015. Post-Triassic para-autochthoneity of the Yukon-Tanana Terrane: Paleomagnetism of the Early Cretaceous Quiet Lake Batholith. Geophysical Journal International, v 203, pp 312–326, doi: 10.1093/gji/ggv296
- Samson, C., Butler, S., Fry, C.*, McCausland, P.J.A., Herd, R.K., Sharomi, O., Spiteri, R.J. and Ralchenko, M.* 2014. 3-D Laser images of splash-form tektites and their use in aerodynamic numerical simulations of tektite formation. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v 49, pp 740-749, doi: 10.1111/maps.12287
- Jin, J., Harper, D.A.T., Cocks, L.R.M., McCausland, P.J.A., Rasmussen, C.M.Ø. and Sheehan, P.M. 2013. Locating the Late Ordovician equator in Laurentia using palaeobiological and palaeomagnetic data. Geology v 41, pp 107-110; doi:10.1130/G33688.1 [highlighted in: Editor’s Choice, Science Dec 14, 2012]
- McCausland P.J.A., Flemming, R.L., Wilson, G.C., Renaud, J., Dillon, D. and Holdsworth, D.W. 2013. The Wood Lake, Ontario H4 ordinary chondrite, a new Canadian meteorite. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences v 50, pp 32-43.
- Wilson. G.C. and McCausland, P.J.A. 2013. Canadian meteorites: a brief review. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences v 50, pp 4-13.
- Torsvik, T.H., Van der Voo, R., Preeden, U. and ten others. 2012. Phanerozoic Polar Wander, Paleogeography and Dynamics. Earth Science Reviews v. 114, pp 325-368.
- Pisarevsky, S.A., McCausland, P.J.A., Hodych, J.P., O’Brien, S., Tait, J.A. and Murphy, J.B. 2012. Paleomagnetic study of the Late Neoproterozoic Bull Arm and Crown Hill Formations (Musgravetown Group) of eastern Newfoundland: implications for Avalonia and West Gondwana paleogeography. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences v. 49, 308-327.
- Singleton, A.C.*, Osinski, G.R., McCausland, P.J.A., Moser, D. 2011. Shock induced changes in density and porosity in shock metamorphosed crystalline rocks, Haughton impact structure, Meteoritics and Planetary Science v. 46, pp 1774-1786, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01290.x
- Plint, A.G., Tyagi, A., McCausland, P.J.A., Krawetz, J.R., Zhang, H., Roca, X., Hu, G., Varban, B., Kreitner, M.A. and Hay, M.J. 2011. Dynamic relationship between subsidence, sedimentation, and unconformities in middle Cretaceous, shallow-marine strata of the Western Canada Foreland Basin and their possible tectonic causes, in: Recent Advances in Tectonics of Sedimentary Basins, C. Buxby and A. Azor, Eds. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Samson, C. and McLeod, T.* 2011. Meteorite Small Fragment Bulk Density via Visible Light 3D Laser Imaging, Meteoritics and Planetary Science v. 46, pp 1097-1109, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01217.x
- McCausland, P.J.A., Hankard, F., Van der Voo, R. and Hall, C.M. 2011. Ediacaran paleogeography of Laurentia: Paleomagnetism and 40Ar-39Ar geochronology of the 583 Ma Baie des Moutons syenite, Quebec. Precambrian Research, v. 187, pp 58-78, doi: 10.1016/j.precamres. 2011.02.004.
- Izawa, M.R.M.*, Flemming, R.L., Banerjee, N.R. McCausland, P.J.A. 2011. Micro X-ray diffraction (μXRD) assessment of shock stage in enstatite chondrites, Meteoritics and Planetary Science, v. 46, pp 638-651, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2011.01180.x
- Brown, P.G., McCausland, P.J.A., Fries, M., Silber, E., Edwards, W.N.*, Wong, D.K., Wiegert, P., Weryk, R.J., Fries, J. and Krzeminski, Z. 2011. The Fall of the Grimsby Meteorite - I: Fireball dynamics and orbit from radar, video and infrasound records. Meteoritics and Planetary Science v. 46, pp 339-363, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01167.
- Izawa, M.R.M.*, Flemming, R.L., McCausland, P.J.A., Southam, G., Moser, D.E. and Barker, I.R.* 2010. Multi-technique investigation reveals new mineral, chemical and textural heterogeneity in the Tagish Lake C2 chondrite. Planetary and Space Science, v. 58, pp 1347-1364.
- van Drongelen, K.*, Tait, K., Clark, G. and McCausland, P.J.A. Petrographic and geochemical analysis of the Shelburne meteorite, an L5 ordinary chondrite fall. Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, v. 104, pp 132-141.
- McCausland, P.J.A. and Plotkin, H. 2009. The 1904 Shelburne (Ontario) L5 chondrite fall, revisited. Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, v. 103, pp 181-188.
- Beech, M., Coulson, I.M., Nie, W. and McCausland, P.J.A. The thermal and physical characteristics of the Gao Guenie (H5) Meteorite, Planetary and Space Science, v. 57, pp 764-770.
- Murphy, J.B., McCausland, P.J.A., O’Brien, S.J., Pisarevsky, S. and Hamilton, M.A. 2008. Age, geochemistry and Sm-Nd isotopic signature of the 0.76 Ga Burin Group: Compositional equivalent of Avalonian basement? Precambrian Research, v. 165, 37-48.
- Abrajevitch, A.*, Van der Voo, R., Bazhenov, M.L., Levashova, N.M. and McCausland, P.J.A. The role of the Kazakhstan orocline in the late Paleozoic amalgamation of Eurasia. Tectonophysics, v. 455, pp 61-76.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Van der Voo, R. and Hall, C.M. 2007. Circum-Iapetus paleogeography of the Precambrian-Cambrian transition with a new paleomagnetic constraint from Laurentia. Precambrian Research, v. 156, pp 125-152.
- Edwards, W.N.*, Eaton, D.W., McCausland, P.J.A., ReVelle, D.O. and Brown, P.G. 2007. Calibrating infrasonic to seismic coupling using the Stardust Sample Return Capsule shockwave: Implications for seismic observations of meteors. Journal of Geophysical Research - Planets, v. 112, doi:10.1029/2006JB004621.
- Levashova, N., Mikolaichuk, A.V., McCausland, P.J.A., Bazhenov, M.L. and Van der Voo, R. 2007. Devonian paleomagnetic results from the North Tien Shan and their implications for the paleogeography of Kazakhstan’s tectonic units with respect to Baltica. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 257, pp 104-120.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Symons, D.T.A., Hart, C.J.R., and Blackburn, W.H. 2006. Assembly of the northern Cordillera: New paleomagnetic evidence for coherent, moderate Jurassic to Eocene motion of the Intermontane Belt and Yukon-Tanana terranes. In Geological Association of Canada Special Paper 46: Paleogeography of the North American Cordillera: Evidence For and Against Large-Scale Displacements, pp 145-168.
- Symons, D.T.A., and McCausland, P.J.A. 2006. Paleomagnetism of the Fort Knox stock, Alaska, and rotation of the Yukon-Tanana terrane after 92.5 Ma. Tectonophysics. v. 419, pp 13-26.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Murphy, J.B., and MacNiocaill, C. 2006. Preface: Endings and beginnings: Paleogeography of the Precambrian-Cambrian transition. Precambrian Research, v. 147, pp 187-192; doi:10.1016/j.precamres.2006.01.014.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Brown, P.G., and Wilson, G.C. 2006. The Dresden (Ontario) H6 chondrite, Part II: Classification, estimated fireball trajectory, and possible origin. Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, v. 100, pp 104-113.
- Hildebrand, A.R., McCausland, P.J.A., Brown, P.G., Longstaffe, F.J., Russell, S.D.J., Tagliaferri, E., Wacker, J.F., and Mazur, M.J. 2006. The fall and recovery of the Tagish Lake meteorite. Meteoritics and Planetary Science, v. 41, pp 407-431.
- McCausland, P.J.A., Symons, D.T.A., and Hart, C.J.R. 2005. Rethinking “Yellowstone in Yukon” and Baja British Columbia: Paleomagnetism of the Late Cretaceous Swede Dome stock, northern Canadian Cordillera. Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, v. 110, B12107, doi:10.1029/2005JB003742.
- Cawood, P.A., McCausland, P.J.A., and Dunning, G.R. 2001.Opening Iapetus: Constraints from the Laurentian margin in Newfoundland. Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 113, pp 443-453.
- Brown, P.G., and 21 others. 2000. The Fall, recovery, orbit, and composition of the Tagish Lake meteorite: A new type of Carbonaceous Chondrite. Science, v. 290, pp 320-325.
- McCausland, P.J.A., and Hodych, J.P. 1998. Paleomagnetism of the 550 Ma Skinner Cove volcanics of western Newfoundland and the opening of the Iapetus Ocean. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 163, pp 15-29.
- Senior Representative for Canadian National Committee - IUGG for IAGA (International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy) http://iugg.org/IAGA/index.html
- Councillor, Geological Association of Canada www.gac.ca
- Past President, Solid Earth Section of the Canadian Geophysical Union
- Secretary-Treasurer, Geophysics Division of the Geological Association of Canada
- Fellow, Royal Astronomical Society
- Member: Geological Association of Canada, Canadian Geophysical Union, Mineralogical Association of Canada, American Geophysical Union, Geological Society of America, Meteoritical Society, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
- National Fireball Coordinator – Meteorite Impact Advisory Committee
- Participant, IGCP 648 “Supercontinent Cycles & Global Geodynamics”
- Check out the Grimsby meteorite fall, Sept 25, 2009
- Yaozhu Li, Ph.D. Planetary Science / Geology (Co-Supervisor)
- Kate Brooks, B.Sc. Geology (at McMaster University)
McCausland Research Group Alumni
- Yaozhu Li, M.Sc. Planetary Science / Geology (2018) co-Supervised with R. Flemming
- Rhys Paterson, B.Sc. Geology (2018, Brock University)
- Mingzhen (Lindsay) Deng, B.Sc. Geology (2018)
- Jordan Siewnarine, B.Sc. Geology (2018) co-supervised with C. Tsujita
- Michelle MacRae, M.Sc. Geology (2017) co-supervised with J. Jin
- Andrew Thomson, M.Sc. Geology (2017) co-supervised with C. Tsujita
- Halima Warsame, M.Sc. Geology (2017) co-supervised with C. Tsujita
- Hiruni Gunawardana, M.Sc. Geophysics (2017) co-supervised with G. Pratt
- Diego Uribe, M.Sc. Planetary Science / Geology (2017) co-supervised with M. Izawa and R. Flemming
- Sundeep Sara, Acc. M.Sc. Geology (2017) co-supervised with B. Linnen
- Earl Fernandes, Acc. M.Sc. Geology (2015)
- Hiruni Gunawardana, B.Sc. Geology (2015)
- Diego Uribe, B.Sc. Geology (2014)
- Michael Bramble, B.Sc. Planetary Science (2014) co-supervised with R. Flemming
- Joshua Pol, B.Sc. Geology (2014) co-supervised with C. Tsujita
- Alexandra Rupert, B.Sc. Geology (2014) co-supervised with R. Flemming
- Stephanie Round, B.Sc. Geology (2010) co-supervised with R. Flemming
- Ross Brown, B.Sc. Geophysics (2006) co-supervised with L. Mansinha