Additional Information

If you are a researcher at Western who is planning on welcoming a new child, this information may assist you in preparing for a leave and help you plan how your research may progress when you are away. This information is a supplement to the details you will find under “Faculty/Librarians” on the menu to the left. Other important information can be found under “Helpful Tips” and “Checklists”.

  1. Please discuss your leave with your department Chair as early as possible. At least three months notice is recommended to assist others in planning for your absence.
  2. Notify Research Finance and Western Research of the start date and duration of your leave.
  3. Notify funding agencies and confirm whether the research will progress as planned. Your funding agencies may have specific requirements or information to help you plan your leave. If your research will be delayed as a result of your leave you may want to request a no-cost extension from the funding agency before the start of your leave. Western Research will be able to guide you through this process for your current and active grants. 
  4. Review your industry contracts and the related deliverables and milestones. If these are not manageable in your absence, an amendment will be necessary. Contact Western Research for assistance.
  5. Determine who will supervise your grad students, if applicable.
  6. Delegate your signing authority on your research projects, where applicable. This will provide spending authority to the delegated individual(s). If applicable, have your delegate initiate the request in PeopleSoft Financials. You will then be prompted to provide your approval (online) and it will be routed to Research Finance for review and processing.
  7. Please contact Research Finance to discuss any specifics, especially if you hold a salary award such as Canada Research Chair or NSERC Industrial Research Chair.

Other resources:

For those with Tri-Council grants (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC) more information can be found on NSERC’s Administrative Matters website.


There are a number of factors that can impact your eligibility to receive paid leave and Supplemental Employment Insurance Benefits (SEIB). If you are planning a leave, please read the information on this website carefully and then complete the Pregnancy/Parental Leave Information Request form.  You will be contacted by Western Human Resources with information about your eligibility and assistance in planning your leave.

This website is provided for information and planning purposes for Western employees only. While every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy, if any conflict exists between the information on this website and the provisions of the various collective agreements or applicable legislation, the collective agreements or legislation prevail.

Published on  and maintained in Cascade CMS.