Skip to Content
Jennifer Irwin, PhD
- PhD (Waterloo)
- MA (Dalhousie)
- BA (Wilfrid Laurier)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Motivational interviewing and life coaching interventions
- Kindness and resilience
- Obesity prevention and treatment
- Promotion of movement behaviours
- Shillington, K., Johnson A.M., Mantler, T., & Irwin, J.D. (accepted April 2020). Kindness as an intervention for student social interaction anxiety, resilience, affect, and mood: The KISS of kindness study. International Journal of Applied Positive Psychology.
- Ly, H & Irwin, J.D. (accepted Feb 2020). Skip the Wait and Take a Walk Home! The Suitability of Point-of-Choice Prompts to Promote Active Transportation among Undergraduate Students. The Journal of American College Health.
- Moulin M.S., Lee C.J., Tucker P, Prapavessis H, Irwin J.D. (2019). Weekly recall of sedentary time: Validity of 2 weekly self-reported measures in undergraduate students. Transl Sports Med. 00:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1002/tsm2.123.
- Moulin, M.S., Truelove, S., Burke, SM., & Irwin, J.D. (2019). Sedentary Time Among Undergraduate Students: A Systematic Review. American Journal of College Health. doi:10.1080/07448481.2019.1661422
- Fried, R.R., Atkins, M.P., & Irwin, J.D. (2019). Breaking grad: Building resilience among a sample of graduate students struggling with stress and anxiety utilizing a peer coaching model derived from mentoring, and motivational interviewing via Co-Active Life Coaching (MI-via-CALC) – A pilot study. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 17(2), 3-19. doi:10.24384/sa09-av91.
- Karmali, S., Ng, V., Battram, D., Burke, S.M., Morrow, D., Pearson, E., Tucker, P., Mantler, T., Cramp, A., Petrella, R., & Irwin, J.D. (2019). Coaching and/or education intervention for parents with overweight/obesity and their children: Study protocol of a single-centre randomized controlled trial.
- Irwin, J.D., Burke, S.M., Insel, P., Roth, W. (2019). Core Concepts in Health, Third Canadian edition. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson
- Health promotion
- Health behaviour change
- Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations Teaching Award, 2019
- Leadership in Wellness Award, 2017
- Edward G. Pleva Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2015
- Faculty of Health Sciences Teaching Award of Excellence, 2014
- Award of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching: Western University Alumni Association and the University Students' Council, 2013 & 2005
- Canada Obesity Network Student and New Professional Faculty Supervision Award, 2011
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Clinical Psychology Review
- Journal of Physical Activity and Health
- BMC Public Health
- Family Medicine