Skip to Content
Shauna Burke, PhD
- MA, PhD (Western University)
- BKin Hons (McMaster)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Infant, child, and youth health
- Childhood obesity
- Measurement and promotion of physical activity in children and adults
- Breastfeeding and infant feeding practices
- Health promotion
- Group dynamics
- Burke SM, Vanderloo L, Gaston A, Pearson ES & Tucker, P. (2015). An examination of self-reported physical activity and physical activity self-efficacy among children with obesity: Findings from the Children’s Health and Activity Modification Program (C.H.A.M.P.) pilot study. Retos: Nuevas tendencias en Educacion Fisica, Deporte y Recreacion (Challenges: New tendencies in Physical Education, Sport, and Recreation), 28, 212-218. (Invited (peer-reviewed) article for a special issue of the academic journal “Retos”, edited by the Spanish Federation of Associations of Physical Education Professionals.)
- Mandich G, Burke S, Gaston A & Tucker P. (2015). The Physical Activity Levels and Sedentary Behaviors of Latino Children in Canada. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12, 5528-5539. doi:10.3390/ijerph120505528.
- Burke SM, Shapiro S, Petrella RJ, Irwin JD, Jackman M, Pearson ES, Prapavessis H & Shoemaker JK. (2015). Using the RE-AIM framework to evaluate a community-based summer camp for children with obesity: A prospective feasibility study. BMC Obesity, 2(21). DOI:10.1186/s40608-015-0050-8. (10 pages).
- Eys MA, Burke SM, Dennis PW & Evans B. (2014). The sport team as an effective group. In J. M. Williams (Ed.), Applied sport psychology: Personal growth to peak performance (7th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill, 124-139.
- Gavarkovs AG, Burke SM & Petrella RJ. (2015). Engaging men in chronic disease prevention and management programs: A scoping review. American Journal of Men’s Health, 1-10 [June 30, 2015]. doi: 10.1177/1557988315587549
- Lala D, Spaulding S, Burke SM & Houghton P. (2015). Electrical stimulation therapy for the treatment of pressure ulcers among individuals with spinal cord injury: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Wound Journal, [Online View, pp. 1-13]. doi: 10.1111/iwj.12446
- Harden SM, Burke SM, Haile AM & Estabrooks PA. (2015). Generalizing the findings from group dynamics-based physical activity research to practice settings: What do we know? Evaluation and the Health Professions, 38(1), 3-14.
- Faculty researcher in the Health Promotion Laboratory at Western University
- Principal investigator of the Children's Health and Activity Modification Program (“C.H.A.M.P.”) and “C.H.A.M.P. Families” program
- Family-based programs targeting childhood obesity in the London, Ontario community.
- Personal Determinants to Health
- Child and Youth Health
- Research Methodology and Scientific Writing in the Health Sciences
- Faculty of Health Sciences Recognition of Achievement for outstanding contributions to teaching: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
- “Outstanding Reference Source” award from the American Library Association for: Carron, A. V., & Burke, S. M. (2010). Group cohesion. In J. M. Levine & M. A. Hogg (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Group Processes and Intergroup Relations (pp. 316-320). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Member of the Canadian Obesity Network (CON; 2007-present)
- Member of the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity (NASPSPA; 2003-present)
- Member of the International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA; 2008-present)
- Member of the HealtheSteps Chronic Disease Network (2012-present)
- Member of the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA; 2012-present)