Tax Credits & Funding
Co-operative Education Tax Credit
These are intended as guidelines only and are not intended to replace the current tax legislation.
- The Co-operative Education Tax Credit (CETC) is a refundable tax credit available to businesses that employ post-secondary students enrolled in qualifying co-operative education programs at eligible educational institutions.
- In Ontario, the Co-operative Education Tax Credit allows you to deduct 25% - 30% of salaries, wages, and benefits to a maximum of $3,000 for each qualifying work term.
An eligible employer includes all corporations or unincorporated businesses with permanent establishments in Ontario subject to Ontario corporate income tax or Ontario personal income tax. Members of a partnership may share the CETC for each qualifying work placement. Limited partners are not entitled to this credit; however, the general partners of a limited partnership are entitled to share the credit.
Funding Support for Employers
For funding opportunities available to London industry partners, a comprehensive list has been compiled by the London Economic Development Corporation. Additional funding options can be found below:
Work-integrated learning combines classroom learning and hands-on learning in a workplace. The Student Work-Integrated Learning program helps post-secondary students in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) and business programs get the work experience they need to prepare for jobs in these high-demand fields
Employment and Social Development Canada will support partnerships between employers and post-secondary education (PSE) institutions to create more work placements for students enrolled in post-secondary studies across Canada. This means, 50% of the student’s wage for 4 months when you create a new co-op position. More general information can be found on the Government's WIL site.
Apply for wage subsidies through one of the following Employer Delivery Partners:
- Information and Communication Technology Council
- Canadian Council for Aerospace and Aviation
- ECO Canada
- Biotalent Canada
- Electricity Human Resources Canada
- Mining Industry Human Resources Council
- Toronto Finance International. This organization is a partner of the Program but does not administer wage subsidies.
- Venture for Canada
- Magnet Student Work Placement Program
- Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce. This organization serves students and employers across Canada.