Human Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Biosafety?

Biosafety is the safety measures taken with respect to the effects of biological research on humans, animals, plants and the environment.

What is the Biosafety Program at Western?

The Biosafety Program at Western has many components, including the Biological Agents Permit Application (BAPA), biosafety inspections, hazardous waste policy and animal protocols.

As a Principle Investigator, why do I need a Biological Agents Permit Application (BAPA)?

The Biological Agents Permit Application (BAPA) is a document used to access the risk of your project and ensure that there are adequate laboratory physical and operational controls in place. This document is also used to ensure that the University meets the requirements of granting agencies.

What training do I need?

All personnel in biosafety laboratories need:

For more information, please see our Required Training page.

If I am a Principle Investigator, what do I need to do under the Biosafety Program at Western?

Step 1: Visit the Biosafety website. Familiarize yourself with the documents on this website, including the Biosafety Guidelines for Containment Level 1 & 2 Laboratories.

Step 2: Visit the websites on the External Links for Biosafety. Familiarize yourself with the standards, especially the Public Health Agency of Canada "Canadian Biosafety Standard".

Step 3: Complete the Biological Agents Permit Application (BAPA) found on the Biosafety website

Step 4: Complete Occupational Health and Safety training. All personnel in biosafety laboratories need to have:

To sign up for a training course, or for more information about training, see our Required Learning webpage.

Step 5: Contact the Biosafety Officer regarding a biosafety laboratory inspection. Please note that only projects with a containment level of 2 or 3, or Large Scale Production laboratories require a biosafety inspection on campus.