Student Opportunity Fund (SOF)
All full-time undergraduate students in the Faculty of Health Sciences contribute to their undergraduate experience through a voluntary $100 SOF donation fee that is part of their academic fees. The funds go to support the Faculty’s Student Opportunity Fund (SOF). The SOF, and the SOF donation fee that supports it, was an initiative of Faculty of Health Sciences student leaders and was introduced in 2012-13.
Students and student groups in the Faculty can apply for funding from the SOF to support activities and events that are outside of those typically covered by their tuition costs.
In the past, the Student Opportunity Fund has provided financial support for a variety of activities and initiatives, including:
- Student Formal
- Community initiatives
- Conference fees
- International exchanges
- Association registration fees
- Guest speakers
- Convocation receptions
- First aid/CPR courses
- Student-sponsored career fairs
A committee of student representatives review applications for SOF funding submitted by their peers and make decisions on how best to distribute the available funds. Each undergraduate School – Health Studies, Kinesiology and Nursing - has a separate Student Opportunity Fund committee that is associated with its Students’ Association. There is also a Faculty-wide SOF committee associated with the Faculty of Health Sciences Students’ Council.
Applications for SOF support open in October (Round 1) and February (Round 2). The application form will be posted on OWL when it is available.
SOF Donation Fee - Opt-Out
If you would prefer not to support the Student Opportunity Fund, you are entitled to opt out of the voluntary $100 SOF donation fee.
- Full-time students who choose to opt out will receive a credit to their tuition account
- If you have a tuition balance owing, the opt-out will be applied to the balance owing
- If you have a credit balance in your tuition account, a refund cheque will be available for pick up at the beginning of November
- An email will be sent to students in early November providing pick up instructions
- Cheques not picked up will be mailed to the address on file with the Office of the Registrar
- Visit www.registrar.uwo.ca to update your address
You must be registered as a full-time student in either the School of Kinesiology, the Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing or the School of Health Studies to be eligible for the credit. Part-time students and graduate students (other than Kinesiology) are not assessed the fee and are therefore not eligible for the credit.
To opt out of the SOF donation fee, pick up an opt out form at your School administrative office:
- Health Studies - Room 222, Labatt Health Sciences Building
- Kinesiology - Room 2225, 3M Centre
- Nursing - Room 3306, FIMS & Nursing Building
Opt out forms will be available, beginning September 1
Opt out forms must be completed and submitted by September 30