Classical Studies | English and Writing Studies | French Studies & Linguistics | Modern Languages and Literatures | Philosophy | Visual Arts | Women's Studies and Feminist Research
- “Maya Heraldic Arms: The Merging of Spanish and Maya Visual Cultures in the Memorial Shield to the Massacre at Otzmal.” Konsthistorisk tidskrift: Journal of Art History (2017), 1-10.
- “Representing Tihó-Mérida in Colonial Yucatán: Maya and Spanish Considerations of a Colonial Capital.” South Central Review 32, no. 2 (Summer 2015): 21-47
- “The Títulos de Ebtún, Yucatan, Mexico: Mapping Maya Communal Identity in a Colonial Spanish Notarial Context.” Imago Mundi: The International Journal for the History of Cartography 67, no. 2 (2015): 179-199
- “Contested Ideologies of Space in Hispanic American Cartographic Practices: From the Abstract to the Real in Spanish and Indigenous Maps of Yucatán.” RACAR: Revue d’art canadienne/Canadian Art Review, Special Issue, Latin American Visual Culture, guest editors, Luis de Moura Sobral and Alena Robin, 38, no. 2 (Fall 2013): 22-39
- “The Rhetoric of Authority: The Casa de Montejo in Mérida, Yucatán.” RACAR: Revue d’art canadienne/Canadian Art Review 35, no. 2 (2010): 5-20
- “Visual Tropes of Migration tell Predictable but Misleading Stories,” The Conversation, November 5, 2018,
- Member of curatorial team, Deepali Dewan (Senior Curator), Jennifer Orpana, Thy Phu, Julie Crooks, and Sarah Bassnett, with the assistance of Sarah Parsons and Silvia Forni, Royal Ontario Museum exhibition, The Family Camera, Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival, 6 May – 29 October 2017.
- “Turn the Cameras on the Architecture of Exclusion in Calais,” Witness, World Press Photo magazine, July 2017.
- Picturing Toronto Photography and the Making of a Modern City Sarah Bassnett, McGill-Queens University Press, April 2016.
- Essay: “Between Truth and Fiction,” Of Time and Building. 18-27. Exhibition catalogue, Dawn Owen and Alison Nordstrom. (Guelph: Art Gallery of Guelph, 2015).
SARAH BASSNETT AND THY PHU
- Visual Studies with Andrea Noble and Thy Phu on "Cold War Visual Alliances," 30, no. 2 (June 2015).
- John G. Hatch, Paterson Ewen: Life and Work. Toronto: Art Canada Institute, 2018.
- "Cosmic Stutters: Anselm Kiefer's Search for Redemption In the Stars," in Nicholas Campion (ed.), Heavenly Discourses: Proceedings of the “Heavenly Discourses” Conference, Bristol, 2011 (Ceredigion, Wales: University of Wales, Sophie Centre Press, 2016), pp. 263-270.
- "The Story Behind Asteroid 14060 Patersonewen," in Brian Patrick Abbott (ed.), Inspiration of Astronomical Phenomena VIII: City of Stars. Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series, Vol. 501 San Francisco: Astronomical Society of the Pacific, 2015), pp. 67-73
- 2018 The Living River Project: Art, Water and Possible Worlds – Mahon + Bou, Miner, Garoo, Rodney, Smallboy,Ouellette, Bariteau, Esfahani, Chitty, Willet, Coates, Gardiner. Co-Curated with Stuart Reid, Art Gallery of Windsor (Online Catalogue forthcoming)
- Group (Canada) 2018 Through the Memory Atlas: 40 Years of Collecting, Curated by J. Budney, S. Edelstein et al, Kamloops Art Gallery, Kamloops, B.C.
- The Source: Rethinking Water Through Contemporary Art. Co-published by Rodman Hall Art Centre/Brock University, St. Catharines, and Art Lab, Western University. 2018. London.
- Patrick Mahon “Still, the Wind: What are Artists Doing about the Weather?” Feature Article (Border Crossings Magazine, Winter 2016,Issue 137) p. 54-61
- (swrv) Christie Contemporary, Toronto, ON. (Sept. 2017) One Person
- Homestead, Carl Louie Gallery, London ON. July 2017.
- Group Sounds Assembling, Museum London, Curated by Melanie Townsend and Cassandra Getty, May 2017 (Group)
Out of the Bush Garden, Contemporary Artists from Central-Eastern Canada, Catalogue Essays
by Lucianno Benneton, Francesca Valente and Peggy Gale, Published by Benneton Foundation, 2017.
- 2017 "Door to Door to Door", essay for Urban Encounters, eds. Martha Radice and Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier, McGill- Queen's Press; 25 pages.
- 2017 "Hit, Hit Maker, Hit Parade", artist pages for the Performance Art and the Public Sphere anthology, ed. Ana Pais, Lisbon: Orfeu Negro; 7 pages.
- 2016 "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhe: Silence and Sound in Performance", essay for More Caught in the Act, eds. Johanna Householder and Tanya Mars, YYZ Books; 20 pages.
- 2015 Gallery Guide: Through and Through - Journal of Curatorial Studies, Volume 4, Number 2.
2015 Volumes - Blackwood Gallery, Mississauga.
- 2017 "4 feet and 33 inches (ellipse and ellipsis)" for Silence Pressure Noise, McIntosh Gallery, London (curator Vicky Moufawad-Paul).
- 2017 "Record Release 12-inch" for Feedback: Marshall McLuhan and the Arts, West Den Haag, The Hague, Netherlands.2017 "Millefeuille 2" for Extratextual, Contemporary Calgary, Calgary (curators Lisa Baldiserra and Joanne Bristol).
- 2017 "Stéréophonie" for Interstices, Daïmôn, Gatineau, Québec.2017 "Micro" at Museum London, London, Ontario (curator Cassandra Getty).
- 2017 "Standing Under Mis", Katzman Contemporary, Toronto (four-person collaborative exhibition project).
- 2016 "Press Play", Zalucky Contemporary, Toronto (solo).
- 2016 "Record Release 7-inch" for Sweet Gongs Vibrating, San Diego Art Institute, San Diego (curator Amanda Cachia).
Published Audio Works (solo)
- 2016 "Greatest Hits" CD, Squint.Press
- 2017 "Hit Parade" at the Lausanne Film & Music Festival (LUFF), Lausanne, Switzterland.
- 2017 "Testing, Testing" at Museum London, London, Ontario.
- 2016 "Talk Artist" for UMBRAL festival, Contemporary Art Museum MACO, Oaxaca City, Mexico.
- 2016 "Record Release 7-inch" at Tranzac, Toronto.2015 "Record Release 7-inch" for Sweet Gongs Vibrating, San Diego Art Institute, San Diego.
- 2015 "Mixer" for 21C Festival, Royal Conservatory, co-presented by MOCA, Toronto. My work performed by myself and: Ronnie Clarke, Jessica Karuhanga, Stephen Mueller, Juliana Pivato, Xuan Ye, Andrew Zukerman.
- with Lisa Vinebaum. Textile: The Journal of Cloth and Culture [special issue: Crafting Community: Textiles, Publics, Performance and Participation]. London: Berg Press, 2016.
- Kirsty Robertson and Lisa Vinebaum. “Crafting Community.” Textile: The Journal of Cloth and Culture 14.1 (2016), pp. 2-13.>
- “Plastiglomerate,” e-flux journal 78 (December 2016)
- “Shopping Cartographies.” In The Vancouver Carts: Photographs by Kelly Wood. James Patten, ed. London: Black Dog Publishers, 2016.
- “Quilts for the Twenty-First Century: Activism in the Expanded Field of Quilting” In Handbook of Textiles, eds. Janis Jefferies, Hazel Clark and Diana Wood Conroy. London: Bloomsbury Press, 2016, pp. 197-210.
- Sprengler, C. “Modern Art and Retromediated Histories: Pleasantville and Far From Heaven” in Jilly Boyce Kay, Cat Mahoney, and Caitlin Shaw, eds. The Past in Visual Culture: Essays on Memory, Nostalgia and the Media. McFarland, 2017.
- Hitchcock and Contemporary Art. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2014.
- In a Hundred Years of Cinema…’: Cultural Memory and Musealization in Harun Farocki’s Workers Leaving the Factory in Eleven Decades,” in Gabriele Muller and Peter McIsaac, “Exhibiting the German Past: Museums, Film, Musealization,” University of Toronto Press, 2015.
- “Past Failures and Future Promises: Mark Lewis’ Children’s Games, Heygate Estate”, in Bridget Elliott, ed. Breaking and Entering: The House Cut, Spliced and Haunted, McGill-Queens, 2015.