Colloquium Speaker's Guidelines
Speaker Guidelines for the Statistical and Actuarial Sciences Colloquium Series
Thank you for agreeing to participate in our Colloquium Series. These colloquia are an opportunity to present ongoing research in a casual environment to our students and colleagues. Detailed suggestions follow below.
Preparations for your talk
Colloquia are normally targeted at Statistical, Actuarial, and Financial Modelling graduate students, as well as faculty from the broader Mathematical Sciences community.
- The entire talk should not exceed ~ 1 hour, including 5 minutes for announcements and at least 15 minutes for questions.
- Provide the colloquium host with a title and abstract as soon as possible after your invitation, but no later than three weeks before the talk.
- WSC 248 has a data projector for powerpoint presentations, etc., and a colloquium coordinator is available to assist. VGA connections are available. Please bring any necessary adaptors for your Mac laptop, tablet, or other non PC device, that you plan to connect.
- Please consider what this particular audience of students and faculty might like to learn from your work. Remember that some of the audience will be first year masters students.
Prior to the colloquium
- If you require oncampus parking, please notify your Colloquium Host a minimum of two business days in advance
- Lunch with Host and others at 12 pm
- Refreshments are provided in WSC 248 at 3:30 pm, and the colloquium begins at 3:35 pm.
- Arrive a few minutes early to allow for setup and/or technical consultation with the colloquium coordinator.
- The talk and questions should be over by ~ 4:30 pm.
After the colloquium
- The colloquium coordinator or your faculty host will gather your signature for travel reimbursement. You may submit original receipts (+ proof of payment) at this time or by mail once you have completed your trip.