What are the admission requirements?
- For more information on MSc admission requirement, please visit our Master's program webpage.
- For more information on PhD admission requirements, please visit our PhD program webpage.
- Our Grad Selection Committee cannot evaluate your academic background before we receive a complete application online from you.
Which program is the best choice for me?
- To help you make that decision, we encourage you to explore our list of graduate programs here.
Where do I submit my application?
You will be required to answer the following supplementary questions for all fields of study offered by the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences:
- Briefly explain how your educational background provides you with the foundation required for your chosen field of study.
- Briefly outline any relevant work experience in your chosen field of study and why it has motivated you to pursue this degree.
- Please provide a statement of academic intent.
If I don’t meet the minimum requirements for admission, can I take some courses at Western to build up my background?
- Yes, but you need to apply to Western as a special undergrad student.
- Admission Requirements to undergrad program
- You can also book an appointment with Dr. Jiandong Ren, email: firstname.lastname@example.org for advice on what courses you should take to meet the program requirements. Please note admission to the grad program is not guaranteed even if you successfully have completed these courses.
When should I submit my application?
- The online application is available in mid-November. Application deadlines are February 15 for international applicants and August 15 for domestic applicants every year. There is a limited number of spaces available; priority will be given to early applicants.
How much is the application fee?
- A $115 CAD application fee is required for each application.
Can I apply for more than one program in your Department
- Yes, you may apply to as many programs as you would like. You are required to pay the application fee for each application submitted though.
I applied last year. Do I have to pay and send all my documents again?
- Yes, as a part of the online application, you will need to upload all your supporting documents online again and pay the fee.
Should I contact potential faculty supervisors before applying?
- No, we do not encourage candidates to contact potential faculty supervisors before applying. All applications are reviewed by the Graduate Committee and then passed on to potential supervisors.
How many referees do I need? Can I submit a referee from my employer?
- Two referees are required; at least one of them must be academic. If you are using a professional reference, they must be from a previously held position related to the program you apply to.
Do you provide financial support to admitted grad students?
In the academic year 2018-19 graduate students are funded through a combination of faculty scholarships, teaching assistantships and research scholarships and are provided the following minimum annual income:
- MSc project-based students: $21,847 (Domestic), Tuition: $7,205
- MSc project-based students: $27,347 (International), Tuition: $17,967
- MSc project-based students, Financial Modeling: $7,000. Tuition: $7,207 (Domestic), $17,967(International).
- All PhD students (Domestic and International): $26,847. Tuition: $7,205
We expect this funding level to continue.
- Increased stipends are paid to major scholarship holders, for example (NSERC PGS-D/M, CGS-D/M, OGS/OGSST). If you will hold such a scholarship, please contact the Department for a detailed salary offer.
- Funding and Tuition Information on School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website
How much is tuition?
- Current tuition information can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.
Do I need to submit an English Proficiency Test?
- Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language.
- English Language Proficiency Information - located under #2 Connect-Admission Requirements-English Language Proficiency
- The minimum acceptable IELTS score to the program is 6 out of 9 with no individual score falling below 6.
Can I receive a conditional Offer of Admission if my English proficiency score is too low when I apply?
- No. We do not make conditional offers of admission for English proficiency. You must submit a passing test score before your application will be reviewed.
Should I provide an English translation of my transcripts/documents if they are in a language other than English?
- Yes. You must upload all notarized English translations along with the original document to the application site when applying.
How do I check the status of my application?
- Each applicant should receive an automatic e-mail acknowledging their on-line application and giving them instructions on how to create a Western account to access the Student Centre where you can update your personal information, check your application status as well as accept an offer of admission.
When will I receive a decision?
- Generally, decisions will be made starting in December and will be ongoing until spaces are filled.
Can I receive feedback on why my application was not successful?
- Unfortunately, we are not in a position to provide individual feedback to applicants. We have very few places in the program for the number of applications we receive, and as a result, it is not uncommon for even outstanding applicants to be refused admission. Admission to the program is quite competitive, and meeting or exceeding the admission requirements does not guarantee admission.
Dr. Marcos Escobar-Anel
Graduate Program Counsellor
Dr. Jiandong Ren