Workshops and Seminars
Research Ethics Training Sessions
Mandatory Training for Human Research
Western Research has launched a new mandatory human participant research training initiative that will support Western’s ongoing commitment to produce research that is high in quality and integrity, while maintaining the protection of research participants. All research team members, including faculty, librarians, archivists, students, postdoctoral scholars and staff listed on research proposals submitted to the human research ethics boards must provide evidence of completion of human research ethics training (completed through TCPS2 CORE or CITI Program) by uploading their certificate in OWL prior to starting any study-related activities.
- All students (including undergraduate, Master’s, PhD, other) listed on new research projects submitted for review after October 1, 2020 must have completed training.
- All faculty, librarians, archivists, postdoctoral scholars and staff on new research projects submitted for review after January 1, 2021 must have completed training.
- All students, faculty, librarians, archivists, postdoctoral scholars and staff on existing research projects will need to confirm completion of training at the time of the submission of their Continuing Ethics Review (CER) between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
You must be logged into OWL before clicking this link
If you receive an error message after clicking the button above, please send an email to Grace Kelly, Manager, Research Compliance Programs & Education, for direct access to the training.
Introduction to Ethics and to WesternREM
- This seminar is open to all faculty and student researchers at Western and its affiliated hospitals. The session covers basic information you need to know about the WesternREM system, get started on your application and manage correspondence with the human research ethics team. This session will also deal with post-approval events, what they are and how to submit each one.
- In Person: Contact our office to set up a customized presentation designed for your specific interests/needs. This seminar will cover material relevant to your research group(s) and offer an opportunity to meet with an ethics officer to answer any questions attendees may have.
- Online: This video discusses key information to acquaint new graduate students and research staff with the human research ethics team. It discusses our purpose, guidelines, online application system (WREM), and tips for success. It provides information that will save you time in the long run. You will learn where to look for further information and how to get started with your first application.
WesternREM: What is WesternREM and How to Use it (WREM 101)
- WesternREM is the online application system used by the human research ethics team to manage ethics protocols. This session covers how to access WesternREM and basic navigation through the system. This session will not deal with ethics-related questions or contents of the forms. Please ensure if you are attending our online sessions that you have headphones or speakers to hear the audio portions of the session. The Session room will open 10 minutes prior to the start time of the online sessions.