Workshops and Seminars
Research Ethics Training Sessions
Western Research has launched a new mandatory human participant research training initiative that will support Western’s ongoing commitment to produce research that is high in quality and integrity, while maintaining the protection of research participants.
All research team members, including faculty, librarians, archivists, students, postdoctoral scholars and staff listed on research proposals submitted to the human research ethics boards must provide evidence of completion of human research ethics training.
- For additional information, please visit our frequently asked questions.
Please click the appropriate link below to access training or confirm certification.
Deadline for NEW research projects
- All students listed on a new research project submitted to the human research ethics boards after October 1, 2020 must confirm completion of training by the time of submission.
- All faculty, librarians, archivists, staff and postdoctoral scholars listed on a new research project submitted to the human research ethics boards after January 1, 2021 must confirm completion of training by the time of submission.
Deadline for EXISTING research projects
- All students, faculty, librarians, archivists, postdoctoral scholars and staff on existing research projects must confirm completion of training by the time of submission of their Continuing Ethics Review (CER) between January 1-December 31, 2021.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Grace Kelly, Manager, Research Compliance Programs & Education
- This seminar is open to all faculty and student researchers at Western and its affiliated hospitals. The session covers basic information you need to know about the WesternREM system, get started on your application and manage correspondence with the human research ethics team. This session will also deal with post-approval events, what they are and how to submit each one.
- In Person: Contact our office to set up a customized presentation designed for your specific interests/needs. This seminar will cover material relevant to your research group(s) and offer an opportunity to meet with an ethics officer to answer any questions attendees may have.
- Online: This video discusses key information to acquaint new graduate students and research staff with the human research ethics team. It discusses our purpose, guidelines, online application system (WREM), and tips for success. It provides information that will save you time in the long run. You will learn where to look for further information and how to get started with your first application.
WesternREM is the online application system used by the human research ethics team to manage ethics protocols. This session covers how to access WesternREM and basic navigation through the system. This session will not deal with ethics-related questions or contents of the forms. Please ensure if you are attending our online sessions that you have headphones or speakers to hear the audio portions of the session. The Session room will open 10 minutes prior to the start time of the online sessions.
- Thursday, February 18, 2021, 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Online | Please click HERE to join this session
- Wednesday, March 10, 2020, 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. | Online | Please click HERE to join this session
- Friday, April 16, 2020, 10:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. | Online | Please click HERE to join this session
- Monday, May 10, 2020, 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. | Online | Please click HERE to join this session
Resources and Presentation Materials
- Ask an EO Session (May 2020)
- Glossary of Human Research Ethics Terminology
- Hot Topics in Research Ethics (May 2019)
- Improving your Human Ethics Application and Minimizing Recommendations (August 2018)
- Tips and Tricks for Writing your Ethics Application Documents (May 2019)
- Top 10 Tips for a Successful REB Application
- WREM Quick Facts