The human research ethics team, on behalf of Western University's Research Ethics Boards (REB), manages the approval and monitoring process for the use of humans in research at Western and its affiliated hospitals and research institutes. All research involving humans conducted by faculty, staff or students at Western or its affiliated hospitals or research institutes must be approved by a Western-sanctioned review board.
The associated Boards/Committees at Western University include the Health Sciences REB (HSREB) and the Non-Medical REB (NMREB).
Note: Do Not Respond to wremsend emails that are recieved from the WREM system as this is a non-person account which is not monitored by our office. Please use either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for general queries.
**The human research ethics team is currently working off-site.**
Human Research Ethics
- Dr. Philip Jones, Chair, Health Sciences (HS) REB, email@example.com
- Dr. Emma Duerden, Vice-Chair, Health Sciences (HS) REB, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Randal Graham, Chair, Non-Medical (NM) REB, email@example.com
- Nicole Holme, Administrative Assistant, 519-661-2111, ext. 84691, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erika Basile, Director, Research Ethics & Compliance, 519-661-2111, ext. 86764, email@example.com
- Nicola Geoghegan-Morphet, HS Ethics Officer, 519-661-2111, ext. 84793, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karen Gopaul, HS Ethics Officer, 519-661-2111, ext. 87437, email@example.com
- Katelyn Harris, NM Ethics Officer, 519-661-2111, ext. 84768, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Patterson, NM Ethics Officer, 519-661-2111, ext. 82256, email@example.com
- Patricia Sargeant, HS Ethics Officer, 519-661-2111, ext. 85990, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jhananiee Subendran, Ethics Coordinator, 519-661-2111, ext. 86811, email@example.com
Human Ethics Office Hours
The human research ethics team has begun hosting office hours. If you would like to meet with one of our ethics officers to discuss any questions you may have about your application, the review process or the WREM system please contact either Patricia Sargeant (Health Science Ethics Officer) or Katelyn Harris (Non-Medical Ethics Officer). You can also sign up for office hours through OWL if you are Western-affiliated.
Office hours are available Thursdays from 2-4:00 p.m. (Health Science) Or Wednesdays from 10 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (Non-Medical). If this time does not work for you please indicate this in your initial email requesting the meeting with some options of when you are availible.
Office Hours will be held via Zoom or telephone for the time being as our office is currently working remotely.
Please note that all of our team members are happy to meet so if you would like to have a discussion with someone in particular please feel free to contact them to request a meeting.
How to Find UsWestern Research
Room 5150, Support Services Building
London, Ontario, Canada, N6G 1G9Phone: 519.661.3036, Fax: 519.850.2466