The mailroom provides quick and efficient distribution of incoming mail and correspondence for the University community. We operate Monday through Friday 7 A.M. to 12 P.M./12:30 P.M. to 3:30 P.M. (except holidays).
Select any of the folliowing for more information:
Campus mail should fit inside a reusable campus mail envelope. The campus mail service should not be used for large packages and/or re-routing courier shipments, or for the distribution of personal business correspondence (i.e. direct marketing catalogues such as Avon)
Please call a local courier company (i.e. Dynamex) or Client Services at ext. 83304.
When addressing campus mail, please include:
- the name of the intended recipient
- their faculty/department
- the building name and room number
Please ensure that the campus envelope is securely sealed. Do not use staples to seal the envelope.
Please be careful to put campus mail in the appropriate place in your building/department for pick-up by the Western drivers. If it is put into the Canada Post bin, it will go to the Canada Post sorting station.
SERVICE ADDITION: Large orders of new campus envelopes can be ordered through our vendor Staples via Mustang Market (Financial Services) at no charge. The SKU for this item is Z98WESTUNIVIO. Small quantities of used campus mail envelopes can still be requested from the mailroom.
Outgoing mail to be metered can be brought to room 1335 in the Support Services Building or can be left for pick-up with the campus mail. Mail being picked up by the Western drivers should be bundled and labelled “To Be Metered.” There is a small surcharge for the metering service.
Outgoing mail to be metered should be separated into bundles of Canadian, U.S. and International destinations. ALL bundles should have the appropriate mailing account code (not speed code) in the top, left-hand corner. If you’ve forgotten your mailing code account number or do not have a mailing account set up, contact the Mailroom at ext. 88196.
Please seal all envelopes that are more than 1cm thick before sending them to the Mailroom. The postage metering machine will not process envelopes thicker than that. Any envelopes that will not fit through the metering machine will be sent back to the originating faculty/department to be sealed. Bundles of mail to be metered and sealed should have the envelopes nested (flaps overlapping) to facilitate processing.
Please ensure that all outgoing mail has a proper return address.
If you have a large quantity of outgoing mail to be picked up (i.e. 4 or more bins), please contact the Mailroom at extension 88195 to arrange a special pick-up.
Please visit the Canada Post web page for regulations, rates and FAQ’s regarding mail entering their system at Canada Post.
An inter-university mail service (correspondence only) to other Ontario universities is available through the Mailroom at no charge.
This not a daily service and should not be relied upon for a specific mail-out date or for sending time-sensitive material. IUTS mailings are prepared on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but only if the amount of mail being forwarded to a particular institution warrants a shipment. IUTS mail should be bundled and appropriately labelled and sent to the Mailroom along with other campus mail.
For more information on the IUTS mail service, please visit the Council of Ontario Universities website for a list of participating universities and institutions.
Times on the pick-up and delivery schedule are approximations only. To ensure that your mail is picked up on a timely basis, please ensure that it is in the appropriate pick-up location 15 minutes ahead of the scheduled pick-up time.
Please refer to our Mailing Schedule for details.
What We Don't Do
- We do not sort mail by personnel names. Mail is sorted by building name and/or department. Please ensure that people sending mail and correspondence to you have your correct mailing address to prevent delays in receiving your mail.
- We do not arrange courier shipments. If you have arranged for a courier pick-up, you may use the Mailroom (SSB 1335, Dock 69) as a pick-up point for your shipment.
- We do not provide a package delivery service from building to building on campus. If you have packages and/or courier shipments to be re-routed, please contact the appropriate courier company or the FM Service Centre at ext. 83304 to arrange this service.
- We do not make a priority of sorting 3rd class, bulk mailings.
- We do not track unregistered/non-signature required mail
- We do not fulfill large orders for new campus mail envelopes. We have a small stock of used envelopes for request, however, new envelopes are ordered via Mustang Market (Financial Services).