Correction of Personal Information

An individual who believes that there is an error or omission in his or her personal information held by the University may exercise rights under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act to request correction of that information. However, this formal right of correction under the Act is not intended to replace the process for routinely updating personal information to reflect such things as address changes. Those types of changes should be made informally through the appropriate campus office.

Corrections are normally made only to personal information that is incorrect or incomplete. Evaluations or opinions are not usually corrected.

To request a correction to personal information, please submit a written request to Western’s Information and Privacy Office. Requesters may submit their request on Western’s FIPPA Access/Correction Request Form, although use of this form is optional. All written requests must also include the following contact information: name, address, and day-time telephone number. The request must be accompanied by the $5.00 application fee.

The FIPPA Access/Correction Request Form is available from Western’s Information and Privacy Office or you may click on this link to print a form: FIPPA Access/Correction Request Form (PDF).

When a request for correction is received, the University must determine whether the information submitted for correction can be verified. In some cases, the University will require documentary proof to support the request.

  • Mail or deliver the completed request with original signature to Western's Information and Privacy Office.
  • As a formal request is not complete until the original is received, e-mails and faxes are not acceptable for a formal request under FIPPA.
  • Indicate the desired correction and, if applicable, provide supporting documentation.
  • Be as specific as possible about the location of the personal information to be corrected, including the personal information bank, if known.