SSHRC Insight Grant Program
Insight Grants support research excellence in the social sciences and humanities. Funding is available to both emerging and established scholars for long-term research initiatives. Insight Grant research initiatives may be undertaken by an individual researcher or a team of researchers working in collaboration.
Applicants choose from one of two streams, depending on the amount of funding required:
- Stream A for requests between $7,000 and $100,000 over two to five years, or
- Stream B for requests between $100,001 and $400,000 over two to five years.
In both streams, a minimum request of $7,000 is required in at least one of the years. A maximum of $100,000 is available in a single year.
Application Process at Western
|Date:||What is Required?|
|Friday, October 5th, 2018 by/before 2PM||
Western RD&S ROLA proposal + (draft) Application Deadline (Mandatory)
-Each applicant must complete a ROLA proposal with Chair and Associate Dean, Research approvals
Monday, October 15th, 2018 by/before 2PM
*When the normal deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline shifts to the next business day.
SSHRC Application Deadline (Mandatory)
-Applications must be "submitted" in the SSHRC web-based forms by/before 2PM.
- Please note that Insight Grant applications are not sent directly to SSHRC when you click "submit". They are routed first to RD&S for review and final submission to SSHRC.
- RD&S will not forward an application to SSHRC without a completed ROLA proposal first being submitted and approved. Please plan accordingly!
- Your faculty and/or department may have additional deadlines for the SSHRC Insight Grant competition. Please check with your faculty research office or research officer(s).
Important Information for the SSHRC Insight Grants - Fall 2018
- Collaborators are not required to fill out a complete SSHRC CV. Collaborators will complete a shortened “profile” for the application.
- Co-applicants are still required to complete a SSHRC CV and attach their research contributions in the web-based forms.
- Co-applicants must formally be affiliated with an eligible Canadian postsecondary institution at the time of application.
Resources for SSHRC Insight Grants
- SSHRC Insight Grant
- SSHRC web-based forms
- Subject Matter Eligibility for SSHRC (including applications related to Health and Psychology)
- Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency
- SSHRC Eligibility - including post-doctoral fellows/researchers
- Western Help Document for SSHRC Co-applicants (how to accept an invite and verify SSHRC CV)
- Western Help Document for SSHRC Collaborators (how to accept invite and complete "profile")
Please Note: SSHRC is once again granting an exception in 2018 that will allow unsuccessful Applicants of the Winter 2018 Insight Development Grant competition to apply to the Fall 2018 SSHRC Insight Grant competition.
A researcher or research team may not submit identical applications to more than one of the three federal granting agencies (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) at the same time, or submit to an agency an application already funded by one of the other agencies.
If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com