SSHRC Insight Grant Program
Insight Grants support research excellence in the social sciences and humanities. Funding is available to both emerging and established scholars for long-term research initiatives. Insight Grant research initiatives may be undertaken by an individual researcher or a team of researchers working in collaboration.
Applicants choose from one of two streams, depending on the amount of funding required:
- Stream A for requests between $7,000 and $100,000 over two to five years, or
- Stream B for requests between $100,001 and $400,000 over two to five years.
In both streams, a minimum request of $7,000 is required in at least one of the years. A maximum of $100,000 is available in a single year.
|Date:||What is Required?|
|Friday, September 17th, 2021 by/before 2PM||
ROLA proposal + Application Deadline (Mandatory)
Friday, October 1st, 2021 by/before 2PM
SSHRC Application Deadline (Mandatory)
- Please note that Insight Grant applications are not sent directly to SSHRC when you click "submit". They are routed first to Western Research for review and final submission to SSHRC.
- Invited co-applicants and/or collaborators must accept their invitations to participate and complete required tasks to facilitate submission in the Web-based forms portal. Please plan accordingly!
- Western Research will not forward an application to SSHRC without a completed ROLA proposal first being submitted and approved.
- Your faculty and/or department may have additional deadlines for the SSHRC Insight Grant competition. Please check with your faculty research office or research officer(s).
- New Review Committee option– Request for multi/interdisciplinary evaluation
- Applications considered relevant for review by the pilot Tri-Agency Interdisciplinary Peer Review Committee must represent collaboration across disciplines and subject areas pertaining to two or more of (1) social sciences and humanities; (2) natural sciences and engineering; and (3) health and wellness, and clearly articulate interdisciplinary approaches.
- To choose the Tri-Agency Interdisciplinary Peer Review Committee, select Committee 24 and attach a one-page justification to the application.
- Individuals may apply, as an applicant, for only one Insight Grant at a time.
- Unsuccessful applicants to the Winter 2021 SSHRC Insight Development Grant competition are eligible to apply to the 2021 Insight Grant competition.
- Collaborators are not required to fill out a complete SSHRC CV. Collaborators will complete a shortened “profile” for the application.
- Co-applicants are still required to complete a SSHRC CV and attach their research contributions in the Web-based forms.
- Co-applicants must formally be affiliated with an eligible Canadian postsecondary institution at the time of application.
- Collaborators can be international. Please note that an Insight Grant may not be used to cover the research costs of collaborators: however, travel expenses incurred by collaborators are eligible if they relate to research planning and exchange of information with the principal investigator, or the dissemination of research results.
- No team members (applicant, co-applicant or collaborator), nor experts/consultants, who are eligible to hold SSHRC funds may be remunerated with Insight Grant funds.
- SSHRC Insight Grant
- SSHRC Web-based forms
- SSHRC Upcoming webinar - English - August 19, 1:00-2:30 PM ET
- SSHRC Upcoming webinar - French - August 20, 1:00-2:30 PM ET
- Subject Matter Eligibility for SSHRC (including applications related to Health and Psychology)
- Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency
- SSHRC Eligibility - including post-doctoral fellows/researchers
- Western Help Document for SSHRC Co-applicants (how to accept an invite and verify SSHRC CV)
- Western Help Document for SSHRC Collaborators (how to accept invite and complete "profile")
- Knowledge Mobilization for Insight Grants
A researcher or research team may not submit identical applications to more than one of the three federal granting agencies (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) at the same time, or submit to an agency an application already funded by one of the other agencies.
For more information, or questions relating to the Insight Grants program, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org