Resources & Forms
- Graduate Grading Standards
- Department of Philosophy Committees and Administrative Officers - to be posted
Step 1 - Pre-approval Form
Step 2 - Reimbursement Processing Form (submit all receipts and boarding passes to submit with form)
PhD Annual Report
Graduate students are expected to meet progression requirements (or "milestones") in a timely fashion according to the schedule detailed in the Department of Philosophy Program & Progression Requirements. Our PhD students are required to submit an annual progress report by May 15th each year.
See also: PhD Program > Requirements > Progression & Timelines
Note: Our standard graduate philosophy curriculum courses are added and dropped online via Student Centre.
See also: MA Program > Requirements > Course Requirements and PhD Program > Requirements > Course Requirements
- Graduate Course Audit Form
- Reading Course Registration
- Request for Incomplete
- Outside Home Program Course Form - Registration
- Undergraduate Course Form - Registration
- Letter Template for External Examiners
- Doctoral Thesis Examination Request Form
- Library and Archives Canada Theses Non-Exclusive License
- Thesis Confidentiality Agreement
Thesis Defense Only Status (TDO) / Intent to Submit Thesis by End of Term
Change of Registration
Graduate academia at Western operates on a three term annual cycle. Approximately one month prior to the upcoming term, new and continuing students are activated for that term. Your activation prepares your student record for course registration, funding, fees and various other activities related to your attendance at Western as a graduate student.
- To apply to graduate, please log in to Student Center. For more information see: SGPS > Apply to Graduate
- Absence from Campus Request (for absences 4 wks to 4 months in duration)
- Leave of Absence (see SGPS policy)
- Part-time Status (see SGPS policy)
- Voluntary Withdrawal (see SGPS policy)
- Master's to Doctoral Transfer (see SGPS policy)
- Thesis Defense Only Status (see SGPS policy)
Logic Competency & Area Comprehensive Exams
All PhD students must pass one comprehensive examination in the area of specialization in which they plan to write a dissertation. They must also demonstrate competence in elementary logic. Further details, including study materials, can be found here.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships
General Information and Collective Agreement