Letter of Permission

We are happy to consider Letters of Permission for students to take courses abroad. However, we will not grant Letters of Permission for courses that are not officially administered by an accredited University and taught by a faculty member with an advanced degree their field.This means that in order to receive a Letter of Permission, your course must be part of the official timetable at that University and the instructor must have either a Master's or PhD (or equivalent level degree), depending on their field. In order to have a Letter of Permission approved for the course you wish to take, you MUST provide us with the following documentation:

  1. A link to the University's course listing in the course calendar showing a brief course description, and any prerequisites that apply;
  2. A link to the course listing in the University’s timetable showing that the course is being offered during the session in which you plan to take it;
  3. The course instructor's official listing (e.g., the faculty listing from the instructor’s home university);
  4. The number of contact hours (hours of official instruction - lecture hours; length and frequency of tutorials or labs, etc.) associated with the course;
  5. A link to the current course syllabus (if the current syllabus is not available, you may submit a link to the previous year’s syllabus but please make every effort to provide us with accurate and up-to-date information).

Please do not pay tuition or arrange travel and/or accommodation for a course until you receive official notice that your Letter of Permission has been approved by Western. We cannot guarantee approval in advance, even if that course has been approved in previous years.

If you have further questions, please contact your home faculty academic counsellor.