No application will be considered until it is complete. The responsibility rests with the applicant to ensure that all documents (i.e. transcripts, letters of reference, test results) are submitted by January 15 for consideration for financial aid. Any application received after January 15th is contingent on space availability and funding.
International applicants should contact the program email@example.com if they have questions regarding grade conversion before beginning the application process.
Completed applications will be evaluated by the program, which makes the admission decision. The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies sends out offers of admission and handles all administrative aspects of registration.
- -An Honors B.A. with a minimum average of B+ (78%) for the last two years of study is the normal requirement for admission to the program with financial support.
- -It is expected that the student’s undergraduate degree will be either an Honors degree in linguistics, a Combined Honors degree including linguistics or the equivalent (e.g. Major). In exceptional cases in which students are admitted without having fulfilled all the above requirements, they will be required to take supplementary courses in linguistics at the undergraduate level in addition to the normal program requirements.
- -English testing requirements are outlined by the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Although applications are processed centrally, applicants are encouraged to contact individual faculty members to discuss their research interests and possible research projects where applicable. Note, however, that individual faculty members do not directly admit students.
If you are interested in visiting the department after submitting your application, please contact us to make arrangements. In some cases, part of your travel expenses may be paid for by the program.
Please note that:
We will only consider applicants whose interests are consistent with the research areas of the faculty members. Moreover, we will not consider applicants whose primary research interests are in the following areas: Language Teaching (ESL), Translation, Teaching Methodology, Applied Linguistics that is not connected to linguistic theory.
Before submitting your online application, you must have:
- -A statement of interest (300-500 words approx.) in .doc, .docx or Pdf format
- -Two emails of referees should be added on the online application
- -Scanned Transcripts in Pdf format
- -Your Resume outlining your work and/or volunteering experience, your studies and your level of knowledge in language(s) (oral and written)
- -Application fee is $125 CAD. Payment by money order or credit card are accepted.