Normal flow of the program:
Phonology or Syntax +
1 or 2 x 0.5 elective courses
Submission of Research Proposal
|Year 2||Term 4:
LINGUIST9500 (Graduate Research Seminar) +
2 to 3 x 0.5 credit elective courses +
Ethics approval for research
(must have obtained 2.5 credits approved elective courses by the end of term 5)
Submission of Research Paper
Students admitted in the program since September 2017 onwards must complete a total of 4.0 course credits over six terms (two years) in the MA Linguistics program.
- *Syntax (weight 0.5) *Must be taken in the first year of studies
- *Phonology (weight 0.5) *Must be taken in the first year of studies
- *Graduate Research (weight 0.25) *Must be taken in the 1st term of studies
- *Graduate Research (weight 0.25) *Must be taken in the 4th term of studies
- 2.5 additional approved course credit
Non-Course Credit Milestones
Research Paper Proposal
A research paper proposal must be completed during term three.
A research seminar must be completed during terms one and four.
The paper is due at the end of August of the second year, that is, at the completion of Term 6. The research paper is 40-60 pages long, including a bibliography, and will demonstrate the student’s ability to do independent research on a topic relevant to Linguistics or Applied Linguistics. Click here to download a template (docx).
The supervisor will be chosen by the Program Director, in consultation with the student and the professor in question. The paper will be supervised by a committee of two professors (there will be no defense). The passing grade is 70%.