Jeff Holmes, PhD
Room 2529, Elborn College
519 661-2111 x88967
- BA, MScOT, PhD (Western University)
- MHK (Windsor)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Non-pharmacological management of gait and balance impairments among individuals with Parkinson’s disease
- Exploring psychosocial support needs experienced by carepartners of individuals with Parkinson's disease
- Hunter, S.W., Divine, A., Omana, H., Madou, E., & Holmes, J.D. (Accepted). Development, reliability and validity of the Safe Use of Mobility Aids Checklist (SUMAC) for 4-wheeled walker use in people living with dementia, BMC Geriatrics
- Hunter, S., Omana, H., Madou, E.,Wittich, W., Hill, K., Johnson, A., Divine, A., & Holmes, J. (2020). Effect of dual tasking on walking and cognitive demands in adults with Alzheimers Dementia experienced un using a 4-wheeled walker. Gait & Posture, 77, 164-170.
- Hunter, S.W., Meyer, C., Divine, A., Hill, K.D., Johnson, A., Wittich, W., & Holmes, J.D. (2020). The experience of people with Alzheimer’s dementia and their caregivers in acquiring and using a mobility aid: a qualitative study. Disability and Rehabilitation, DOI: 10.1080/09638288.2020.1741700
- Hunter, S.W., Divine, A., Madou, E., Omana, H., Hill, K.D., Johnson, A.M., Holmes, J.D., & Wittich, W. (2020). Executive function as a mediating factor between visual acuity and postural stability in cognitively healthy adults and adults with Alzheimer's dementia, Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics Jul-Aug;89:104078.
- Schranz, A., Dekaban, G., Fischer, L., Blackney, K., Barreira, C., Doherty, T., Fraser, D., Brown, A., Holmes, J., Menon, R., and Bartha, R. (2020). Brain metabolite levels in sedentary women and non-contact athletes differ from contact athletes. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience DOI: 10.3389/fnhum.2020.593498
- Holmes, J.D., Alvarez, L., Johnson, A.M., Robinson, A.E., Gilhuly, K., Horst, E., Kowalchuk, A., Rathwell, K., Reklitis, Y., and Wheildon, N. (2019). Driving with Parkinson’s disease: Exploring Lived Experience. Journal of Parkinson’s Disease, 1-7.
- Harriss, A., Abbott, K., Kimpinski,K., Holmes, J., Johnson, A., Walton, D., & Dickey, J. (2019). An evaluation of heart rate variability in female youth soccer players following soccer heading: A pilot study. Sports, 7(11), 229-236. doi: 10.3390/sports7110229
- Ready, E., McGarry, L., Rinchon, C., Holmes, J.D., and Grahn, J. (2019). Beat perception ability and instructions to synchronize influence gait when walking to music-based auditory cues. Gait & Posture, 68, 555-561.
- Manning, K., Llera, A., Dekaban, G., Bartha, R., Barreira, C., Brown, A., Fischer, L., Jevremovic, T., Blackney, K., Doherty, T., Fraser, D., Holmes, J., Beckman, C., and Mennon, R. (2019). Linked MRI signatures of the brains acute and persistent response to concussion in female varsity rugby players. Neuroimage Clinical, 21, 1-9.
- Hunter, S., Divine, A., Omana, H., Wittich, W., Hill, K., Johnson, & Holmes, J. (2019). Effect of learning to use a mobility aid on gait and cognitive demands in people with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease: Part I – Cane. Journal of Alzheimers Disease, 71(Suppl 1): S105-S114. PMID: 31127766 DOI: 10.3233/JAD-181169
- Hunter, S., Divine, A., Omana, H., Wittich, W., Hill, K., Johnson, & Holmes, J. (2019). Effect of learning to use a mobility aid on gait and cognitive demands in people with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease: Part II – 4 – Wheeled Walker. Journal of Alzheimers Disease, 71(Suppl 1): S115-S124. PMID: 31127767 PMCID: PMC6839464 DOI: 10.3233/JAD-181170
- Kogutek, D., Holmes, J., Grahn, J., & De Souza (2019). Improvised Active Music Therapy Treatment: Methodological System in Neurological Rehabilitation
Canadian Journal of Music Therapy, 25, 60-75.Jimenez-Pardo, J.,
- Hamad, E.O., AlHadi, A.N., Tremblay, P.F., Savundranayagam, M.Y., Kinsella, E.A., Holmes, J.D., Lee, C.J., & Johnson, A.M. (2018). Reconstruction of a caregiver burden scale: Exploratory and content analyses to identify culturally sensitive items in Saudi Arabia. Canadian Journal on Aging, 37(2), 218-233.
- Schranz, A., Manning, K., Dekaban, G., Fischer, L., Asem, K., Blackney, K., Barreira, C., Doherty, T., Fraser, D., Brown, A., Holmes, J., Menon, R., and Bartha, R. (2018). Reduced Brain Glutamine in Female Varsity Rugby Athletes after Concussion and in Non-Concussed Athletes after a Season of Play. Human Brain Mapping. 39(4), 1489-1499.
- Johnson, A.M., Jimenez-Pardo, J., Jenkins, M.E., Holmes, J.D., & Burke, S.M. (2018). Self-Reported Physical Activity Among Individuals with Parkinson’s Disease. Sage Open, April-June, 1-6.
- Lutz, S.G., Holmes, J.D., Rudman, D., Johnson, A.M., LaDonna, K., & Jenkins, M.E. (2018). Understanding Parkinson’s through visual narratives: “I’m not Mrs. Parkinson’s”. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. 81 (2), 80-90.
- Hunter S, Frengopoulos C, Holmes JD, Viana R, Payne M. (2018). Dual-task Related Gait Changes in Individuals with Trans-Tibial Lower Extremity Amputation. Gait & Posture. 61, 403-407.
- Frengopoulos C, Payne M, Holmes J, Viana R, Hunter S. (2018). Comparing the Effects of Dualtask Gait Testing in New and Established Ambulators with Lower Extremity Amputations. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 10 (10), 1012-1019. 19)
- Manning, K., Schranz, A., Bartha, R., Dekaban, G.A., Barreira, C., Brown, A., Fischer, L., Asem, K., Doherty, T., Fraser, D., Holmes, J.D, & Menon, R. (2017). Multiparametric MRI changes persist beyond recovery in concussed adolescent hockey players. Neurology, 89(21), 2157-2166.
- Gregory, M.A., Boa Sorte Silva, N.C., Gill, D.P., McGowan, C.L., Liu-Ambrose, T., Shoemaker, J.K., Hachinski, V., Holmes, J., and Petrella, R. (2017). The effects of combined dual-task gait training and aerobic exercise on cognition, mobility, and vascular health in community-dwelling older adults at risk for future cognitive decline. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 57(3):1-17.
- Hamad, E.O., AlHadi, A.N., Lee, C.J., Savundranayagam, M.Y., Holmes, J.D., Kinsella, E.A., & Johnson, A.M. (2017). Assessment of caregiving constructs: Toward a personal, familial, group, and cultural construction of dementia care through the eyes of personal construct psychology. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology. 32(4), 413-431.
- Hamad, E.O., Savundranayagam, M.Y., Holmes, J.D., Kinsella, E.A., & Johnson, A.M. (2016).Toward a Mixed-Methods Research Approach to Content Analysis in The Digital Age: The Combined content-Analysis Model and its Applications to Health Care Twitter Feeds. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 18(3):e60.
- Bryson-Campbell, M., Shaw, L., O’Brien, J., and Holmes, J. (2016). Exploring the transformation in occupational identity: Perspectives from brain injury survivors. Journal of Occupational Science 23, (2) 208-216.
- Lutz, S. G., Holmes, J.D., Ready, E.A., Jenkins, M.E., & Johnson, A. (2016). Clinical presentation of anxiety in parkinson’s disease: A scoping review. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health, 36(3) 134-147.
- Kogutek, D., Holmes, J.D., & Grahn, J.A., Lutz, S.G., and Ready, E.A. (2016). Active music therapy and physical improvements from rehabilitation for Neurological Conditions. Advances in Mind Body Medicine, 30(4): 14-22.
- Daley, M., Bartha, R., Brown, A., Charyk Stewart, T., Dekaban, G., Doherty, T., Fischer, L., Holmes, J., Menon, R., Shoemaker, K., Rupar, A., & Fraser, D. (2016). Metabolomics Profiling of Concussion in Adolescent Male Hockey Players: A Novel Diagnostic Method. Metabolomics, 12:185.
- Holmes, J.D., Jenkins, M.E., Johnson, A.M. (2015). An examination of the reliability and factor structure of the Physical Activity Scale for Individuals with Disabilities (PASIPD) among individuals living with Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 23, 391-394. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/japa.2013-0051.
- Morrison, S. Spaulding, S., Holmes, J., & Jenkins. M (2015). A novel cognitive cueing approach to gait retraining in Parkinson’s disease: A Pilot Study. Open Journal of Occupational Therapy 3(2).
- Holmes, J.D., Brigham, L.K., Jenkins, M.E., Ready, E.A., Lutz, S.G., Johnson, A.M., & Grahn, J.A. (2015). The effects of manipulating spatial location of visual cue placement on gait among individuals with Parkinson’s Disease: A Pilot Study. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 33(3), 263-278.
- Classen, S., Holmes, J., Alvarez, L., Loew, K., Mulvagh, A., Rienas, K., Walton V., He, W. (2015). Clinical assessments as predictors of primary on-road outcomes in Parkinson’s disease. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health 35(4), 213-220.
- Caregiver Burden: Psychosocial support needs experienced by carepartners of individuals with Parkinson’s disease (Funded by Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario; Western University Mid Career Stimulus Grant)
- Preliminary efficacy of targeted in-vehicle technology on the driving performance of individuals with Parkinson´s disease: A pilot study (Funding Source Parkinson Canada Pilot Project Grant)
- Health & Human Performance Research Laboratory - Director
- Clinical disorders applicable to the study of occupation and occupational therapy practice and their impact on cognitive, affective and physical occupational performance
- World Discoveries 2020 Vanguard Team Award
- Member - Board of Directors, Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario