Required Permits

Study Permits

For the most up to date information regarding permits, please visit the IRCC website.

The Government of Canada recently announced a cap on new study permits. We have been assured that this cap will not affect incoming Master’s or Doctoral applicants.

If you have any immigration-related questions, Western International’s immigration advisors are happy to help. Please visit Western International’s website, make an appointment with an advisor, or contact the advising team at

Applying for your first study permit

All international students who wish to pursue a program of study of at least 6 months in length at Western University must hold a valid study permit that authorizes studies at any Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada, such as Western University. See below if your program of study is less than 6 months in length.

Western University DLI #O19375892122

  • The first digit is the capital letter “O”, not the number zero “0”
  • Western’s DLI number can be found on your Letter of Acceptance

International students are responsible for applying for their initial study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit the IRCC website for further information, document requirements and application instructions.

Your current country of residence and status in that country will determine whether you apply online, by paper through a Canadian Visa Application Centre, or upon entry into Canada. Please note that only citizens of the USA and St. Pierre and Miquelon may apply for a study permit upon entry into Canada.

Some international students can get their study permits faster by using the Student Direct Stream (SDS).

Students will need to follow the steps to order an official SDS Western Letter to prove that you have paid your tuition for your first year of study.

Co-op Work Permit for Clinical Placements

International students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship in a Canadian institution must apply for a co-op work permit as well as a study permit. Co-op work permit is a special kind of permit that allows you to work in Canada as part of your studies.

It is very important for international students to understand the rules and regulations when it comes to working as an international student in Canada. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure co-op permit is obtained prior to starting the program.

Western University Faculty of Health Sciences professional master’s programs, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech- Language Pathology and Audiology require students to complete clinical placements as part of your studies, thus, you will need a co-op work permit as well as a study permit. You can apply to your co-op work permit the same time as your study permit.

There are 4 conditions to be eligible for a co-op work permit:

  • A valid study permit.
  • Employment must be an essential part of your program
  • You will need a letter* from your school- that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree.
  • Co-op or internship totals 50% or less of study program.

*Different programs have different systems delivering documents and sometimes co-op letter is provided upon request, please ensure you have your co-op letter from your school alongside your offer. If the co-op letter is not attached with your offer, please reach out to your school to request.

Click for more information on co-op work permits or you can visit IRCC website.

Note: If your academic program requires you to complete co-op/internship as a mandatory part of your program requirements, you must apply for a Co-op Work Permit in addition to the Study Permit.