Ontario Research Fund
Ontario Research Fund - Research Excellence (ORF-RE)
The Ontario Research Fund-Research Excellence program provides research institutions with funding to help support the operational costs of large-scale transformative research of strategic value to the province.
Application Timeline and Important Dates
- Wednesday, April 27, 2017: Internal NOI deadline for review & institutional signature (mandatory)
- Tuesday, May 2, 2017: Submission of signed, hard copy NOIs to the Ministry at 12 p.m.
- Late July/Early August: Preliminary draft & preliminary budget to RDS
- Friday, August 25, 2017: Information for institutional letters & draft partner letters of support to RDS
- Friday, September 1, 2017: Final budget & revised draft submitted
- Friday, September 15, 2017: Final proposal draft, final letters of support, and ROLA proposal submitted
- Monday, September 25, 2017: Final application deadline
- Eligible institutions include: universities, colleges, research hospitals, non-profit research institutions
ORF-RE Round 9 consists of three application streams. Institutions must select one stream for each Notice of Intent (NOI) and application form. Applications can only be submitted to one stream. The three application streams are:
- General (open to all disciplines)
- Disruptive technology in the clean technology sector
- Social sciences, arts and humanities
Descriptions of each target area, including definitions of “disruptive technology” and “clean technology” for the purposes of this competition, can be found in the Program Guidelines.
ORF-RE provides up to 1/3 of the total value of a project with the remaining 2/3 from a combination of private sector and institutional contributions. The minimum and maximum amounts that can be requested from ORF (inclusive of both direct projects costs and overhead) by stream are:
- General: $1 million minimum - $4 million maximum (direct costs + overhead)
- Disruptive Technologies: $1 million minimum - $4 million maximum (direct costs + overhead)
- Social Sciences, Arts & Humanities: $200,000 minimum - $1 million maximum (direct costs + overhead)
Partner contributions received on or after September 25, 2016 may be eligible; however, funds may not be spent before the project start date (earliest possible: March 14, 2017). If you have questions regarding the potential eligibility of contributions or partners, please contact Research Development.
Relevant Documents and Links
Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science Materials
Western Information Session Materials
For questions regarding the ORF-RE program, please contact: