NSERC Discovery Grants Program
The Discovery Grants Program assists in:
- promoting and maintaining a diversified base of high-quality research capability in the natural sciences and engineering in Canadian universities;
- fostering research excellence; and
- providing a stimulating environment for research training.
The Discovery Grants Program supports ongoing programs of research (with long-term goals) rather than a single short-term project or collection of projects. These grants recognize the creativity and innovation that are at the heart of all research advances. Researchers can apply for, and hold, only one Discovery Grant at a time. Discovery Grants are awarded for one to five years, the normal duration being five years.
Notification of Intent to Apply:
All researchers who intend to apply for a Discovery Grant in the 2018 competition must submit a Notification of Intent to Apply for a Discovery Grant by August 1, 2018. NSERC will only accept a completed NOI through its Research Portal. A Common CV is mandatory for both the NOI and full application stages, and it can - and should - be updated for the full application.
N.B. When you submit your NOI in the Portal it goes straight to NSERC, unlike the full application which is routed to Research Services first for administrative review and final submission to NSERC.
Application Process & Deadlines:
(Check with your department/faculty for additional deadlines)
- NSERC NOI (Notification of Intent): due August 1, 2018 by/before 8 p.m.
- Research Services deadline for submission of a ROLA proposal and a draft Application (1 PDF file exported from the Portal) to email@example.com: October 25, 2018 by/before 2 p.m.
- Sponsor's deadline: November 1, 2018 by/before 2 p.m.
Links to NSERC Materials:
- NSERC Discovery Grants Information Centre
- NSERC FAQ on Evaluation of the HQP Criterion
- NSERC Peer Review Manual (2017-18)
- NSERC-led webinar schedule (Discovery, RTI)
- Memo to Potential Applicants - Important Notice from NSERC - Notification of Intent to Apply (NOI)
- List of Evaluation Groups
- Discovery Grants Merit Indicators
- Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency
- NSERC Discovery Grants Process for Decisions on Mandate Eligibility
If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org