Marilyn Ford-Gilboe, RN, PhD, FAAN
Distinguished University Professor
Room 2306, FNB
519 661-2111 x86603
- PhD (Wayne State)
- MScN (Toronto)
- BScN (Windsor)
- Women's Health Research Chair in Rural Health
- Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Adjunct Appointment, School of Graduate Studies, University of New Brunswick
Research in Profile
- Women’s health and health inequity across diverse contexts, including rural settings
- Health, social and economic consequences of gender-based violence and trauma
- Development and testing complex (F2F and online) interventions to improve health and quality of life for women with histories of IPV
- Strengthening health care approaches for people living with violence and inequity
- Trauma- and violence-informed care, relational practice and strengths-based models of practice/service delivery (particularly related to community health nursing)
- Measurement of gender-based violence and equity-oriented care
iHEAL in Context: Testing the Effectiveness of a Health Promotion Intervention for Women who have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence (2016-2021)
- Funding: Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Principal Investigators: Ford-Gilboe, M, Scott-Storey, K. and Varcoe, C.
- Co-Investigators: Browne, A., Jackson, K., MacMillan, H., Mantler, T., Perrin, N., O’Donnell, S., Jack, S., Smye, V., Vissandje, B., Wathen, N.
Effectiveness of an internet-based decision aid in enhancing safety behaviors, reducing exposure to violence and improving mental health among women experiencing intimate partner violence (2012-2020)
- Funding: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Principal Investigators: M. Ford-Gilboe, C. Varcoe, K. Scott-Storey, J. Wuest
- Co-Investigators: N. Glass, N. Wathen, N. Perrin, L. Currie, M. Hodgins, H. MacMillan, D. Neal, M. Noh
Testing the Performance of the Composite Abuse Scale (Revised) Short Form (CASR-SF) Among Canadian Adults who have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence (2018-2020)
- Funding: Public Health Agency of Canada
- Principal Investigators: Ford-Gilboe, M., Wathen, N.
- Co-Investigators: O’Donnell, S., Scott-Storey, K., Varcoe, C., MacMillan, H., Perrin, N.
Chronic Pain in Women Living with Social Inequities: A Critical Systems Thinking Approach and Analysis (2019-2020)
- Funded by Women’s Xchange (Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care)
- Principal Investigator: Befus, D.
- Co-Investigators: Ford-Gilboe, M., Mantler, T., Jackson, K., Oudshoorn, A., Trentman, K.
Composite Abuse Scale (Revised) - Short Form (CAS(R)-SF)
The CAS(R)-SF is a 15-item self-report scale designed to measure of the severity of intimate partner violence. Originally validated with more than 6000 Canadian women, the performance of this scale with men and people of diverse gender identities is being evaluated. The CASR-SF is being used in studies across the globe, inclusive of population-based surveys in both Canada and Australia.
- See: bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/12/e012824
- For permission to use the CAS(R)-SF, please contact email@example.com
Equipping Health Care for Equity Online Modules
A set of nine online, evidence-based learning modules designed to support health care providers and organizations to develop knowledge about equity-oriented health care and strategies for integrating it into practices and policies. The modules include practical tools for use at the point of care (with patients) or with health care teams to improve the delivery of EOHC. Access to the modules is free after registration at equiphealthcare.ca/modules/. The modules mobilize results of a CIHR-funded study (EQUIP Primary Health Care and ongoing research conducted in Emergency Departments).
my Plan Canada App
A free interactive safety and health planning tool for Canadian women experiencing partner violence (available in iOS, Android and as a web app). The first of its kind for Canadian women, the app is based on results of a CIHR-funded trial and is a collaboration with partners in the U.S. and with Women and Gender Equality Canada (WAGE). See www.planapp.ca for more information and to access the app.
- Ford-Gilboe, M., Varcoe, C., Scott-Storey, K., Perrin, N., Wuest, J., Wathen, N. & Glass, N. Longitudinal Impacts of an Online Safety and Health Intervention for Women Experiencing Intimate Partner Violence: Randomized Controlled Trial. BMC Public Health, 20(1):260. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-020-8152-8. https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-020-8152-8
- Jack, S., Boyle, M., McKee, C., Ford-Gilboe, M., Wathen, C.N., Scribano, P., Davidov, D., McNaughton, D., O'Brien, R., Johnston, C., Gasbarro, M., Tanaka, M., Kimber, M., Coben, J., Olds, D., & MacMillan, H. (2019). Effect of Addition of an Intimate Partner Violence Intervention to a Nurse Home Visitation Program on Maternal Quality of Life: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA, 321(16), 1576-1585. DOI:10.0001/jama.2019.3211.
- Ford-Gilboe, M., Wathen, N., Varcoe, C., Herbert, C., Jackson, B., LaVoie, J., Pauly, B., Perrin, N., Smye, V., Wallace, B., Wong, S., Browne, A.J. (for the EQUIP Research Team)(2018). How Equity-Oriented Health Care Impacts Health: Key Mechanisms and Implications for Primary Care Practice and Policy. Millbank Quarterly, 96(4), 635-671. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0009.12349
- Varcoe, C., Ford-Gilboe, M., Browne, A.B., Perrin, N., Bungay, V., McKenzie, H., Smye, V., Price, R., Inyallie, J., Khan, K., Dion Stout, M. (2019). The Efficacy of a Health Promotion Intervention for Indigenous Women: Reclaiming Our Spirits. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1-31. DOI:10.1177/0886260518820818
- Alhalal, E., Ford-Gilboe, M., Wong, C., & AlBuharain, F. (2019). The reliability and validity of the Arabic Version of the Composite Abuse Scale. Violence and Victims, 34(1), 3-27. DOI: 10.1891/0886-6708.34.1.3
Mantler, T., Jackson, K., Ford-Gilboe, M., et al. (2018). The CENTRAL Hub Model: Strategies and Innovations Used by Rural Women’s Shelters in Canada to Strengthen Service Delivery and Support Women. Journal of Rural and Community Development, 13(3), 115–132.
- Browne, A., Varcoe, C., Ford-Gilboe, M., Wathen, N. et al. (2018). Disruption as Opportunity: Impacts of an Organizational-level Health Equity Intervention in Primary Care Clinic. International Journal of Health Equity, 17, 154. DOI: 10.1186/s12939-018-0820-2.
- LaVoie, J., Varcoe, C., Wathen, N., Ford-Gilboe, M., Browne, J. (2018). Expanding the space for equity-oriented primary health care: Policy requirements. BMC Health Services Research, 18, 705. DOI: 10.1186/s12913-018-3501-3
- Alhalal, E., Ford-Gilboe, M., Wong, C., & AlBuharain, F. (2018). Factors mediating the impacts of child abuse and intimate partner violence on chronic pain among Saudi women: A cross-sectional study. BMC Women’s Health, 18: 160. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-018-0642-9
- Alhalal, E., Ford-Gilboe, M., Wong, C., & AlBuharain, F. (2017). Reliability and validity of the Arabic PTSD Checklist Civilian Version (PCL-C) in women survivors of intimate partner violence. Research in Nursing and Health, 40, 575–585. DOI: 10.1002/nur.21837.
- Ford-Gilboe, M., Varcoe, C., Scott-Storey, K., Wuest, J., Case, J., Currie, L., Glass, N., Hodgins, M., MacMillan, H., Perrin, N., Wathen, N. (2017). Protocol for a randomized controlled Trial of a Personalized Online safety Intervention versus general safety information for women experiencing intimate partner violence: ICAN Plans for Safety Study. BMC Public Health, 17, 273. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-017-4143-9.
- Varcoe, C., Browne, M., Ford-Gilboe, M., Dion-Stout, M., McKenzie, H., Price, R., Bungay, V., Smye, V., Inyallie, J., Day, L., Khan, K., Heino, A., & Merritt-Gray, M. (2017). Reclaiming Our Spirits: Development and Pilot Testing of a Health Promotion Intervention for Indigenous Women Who Have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence. Research in Nursing and Health, 40, 237-54. DOI: 10.1002/nur.21795.
- Ford-Gilboe, Ford-Gilboe, M., Wathen, N., Varcoe, C., MacMillan, M., Scott-Storey, K., Mantler, T., Hegarty, K., & Perrin, N. (2016). Development of a Brief Measure of Intimate Partner Violence Experiences: The Composite Abuse Scale (Revised) – Short Form (CASR-SF). (2017). BMJ Open, 6 (12), . DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012824 (Open Access).
- Guruge, S., Ford-Gilboe, M., Varcoe, C., Jayasuriya-Illesinghe, V., Ganesan, M., Sivayogan, S., . . . Vithanarachchi, H. (2017). Intimate partner violence in the post-war context: Women’s experiences and community leaders’ perceptions in the eastern province of Sri Lanka. PLoS One, 12(3). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0174801.
- Broughton, S., & Ford-Gilboe, M. (2017). Predictors of family health and well-being after separation from an abusive partner: Role of Coercive control, mother’s depression and social support. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 26(15-16), 2468-2481. DOI: 10.1111/jocn.13458.
- Center for Research in Health Equity and Social Inclusion (CRHESI)
- GBV Incubator @ Western
- PreVAIL Network
- Associate Scientist, Lawson Health Research Institute and Children's Health Research Institute
- Violence, Gender and Health Research
- Women’s Health
- Violence and Health
- Feminist and Critical Research Methodologies
- Research Methods (Qualitative, Quantitative, Mixed)
- Community Health Nursing
- Nursing Theory and Philosophy
- Distinguished University Professor, Western University (2019)
- Excellence in Research Award, Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International (NNVAWI)(2018)
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (AAN)
- Faculty Scholar, Western University
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
- Anselm Strauss Award for Excellence in Qualitative Family Research, National Council on Family Relations, USA
- Past President, Nurses Network on Violence Against Women International (NNVAWI)
- Member, Expert Panel on Violence, American Academy of Nursing (AAN)
- Advisory Board, Centre for Research and Education on Violence Against Women and Children (CREVAWC), Western University