Information for Staff

General FAQs

1. Western is moving to essential services on campus. What does this mean?

Based on a directive from the provincial government, Western will be moving to essential services on campus beginning at 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, March 24, continuing for at least 14 days.

Employees required to report to campus to carry out their roles, who are essential to our business processes, have been notified by their supervisors.

All other Western employees who can work from home virtually should continue to do so.

Course work for students will continue in the online learning model that began on March 18.

More information can be found at

2. Are any buildings open on campus?

Based on a directive from the provincial government, all buildings on campus will be closed as of March 25 for at least 14 days, with the exception of some student residences. Restricted card access will be granted only to employees required to work on campus,  as approved by Deans or Vice-Presidents.

3. How do I notify Western if I am sick or unable to report to work?

Employees must use Western’s Absence Notification Tool or call Human Resources at 519-661-2194 and select option 3, and should also continue to follow normal departmental communication processes for absence notification. The tool is designed to provide the University with the vital information to track and monitor unanticipated absences from scheduled work during the COVID-19 pandemic. A newly adopted policy requires all Faculty and Staff members (including part-time, contract, Postdocs, Graduate Teaching Assistants and Student Employees) to report each day of an unanticipated absence using the tool.

4. How can I access campus mental or physical health supports during this time?

Western's Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week

Western’s Family Practice Clinic remains open, however, only those with an in-person appointment scheduled should visit UCC 11. We are currently booking appointments via email.

If you are a patient with the Family Practice Clinic, you can book an in-person or telehealth appointment with a doctor by emailing us at Our staff are checking email and responding Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

As we continue to monitor the ongoing COVID-19 situation, our hours of operation may change. Please email the clinic for the most up-to-date hours. We ask that you avoid booking non-essential medical visits as much as possible during this time.

5. Will employees who become sick still receive pay?

Employees who were scheduled to work and reported their absence on the Absence Notification tool or by contacting Human Resources will be paid.

6. Will leaders ask employees to go home if they are exhibiting symptoms?

Leaders will encourage employees to go home and care for themselves if they are exhibiting symptoms, in order to promote a safe environment for all employees. 

A reminder that Western's Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

7. If employees have a dual-role (student and staff relationship) do they need to report absences on the Absence Notification tool and on the Illness Notification system?

Student-staff employees will be required to report to the student Illness Notification system and the employee Absence Notification tool.

8. Are essential service employees as identified by the University eligible for reimbursement of cancelled travel/vacation costs?

Essential service employees who have missed vacation due to work obligations will be reimbursed for any unrecovered, out-of-pocket expenses.

9. Are employees required to provide a doctor’s note for short-term, unplanned absences?

Doctor’s notes are not required for absences shorter than 21 working days.

10. Are any campus eateries open?

As of March 24, campus eateries are no longer operating.

11. Is the UCC Pharmacy open?

Yes, the UCC Pharmacy is open, but with reduced walk-in hours: Tuesday and Thursday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Customers are to use Exit 27 near Student Health Services and Life Labs which can be accessed via a staircase on Concrete Beach or via the pedestrian tunnel under Oxford Dr., which is accessed between Lawson Hall and Somerville House. This entrance is accessible.

Whenever possible, please ask your doctor to fax (519-661-4092) or phone (519-661-4058) in your prescription to support physical distancing and avoid an unnecessary visit to the pharmacy.

The pharmacy will deliver prescription medication to your home for no additional fee. Please call 519-661-4058 to request this service. Note, clients will need to pay any charge for their prescription by credit card over the phone prior to delivery. The UCC Pharmacy will also deliver other items for sale at their pharmacy location to residential homes in London. Note, there is a $6.50 delivery fee for items that are not prescription medications. Clients will need to pay the item cost and delivery fee by credit card over the phone prior to delivery.

Prescriptions can also be picked up at the Plaza Pharmacy in Books Plus, at the corner of Western Rd. and Sarnia Rd., near Perth Hall. Plaza Pharmacy is open Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please call 519-661-4058 to request this alternative pick up location.

In addition, the UCC Pharmacy can transfer your prescription to any other pharmacy in Canada. To have your prescription transferred, please ask your new pharmacy to call the UCC Pharmacy at 519-661-4058 and request the transfer.

Please visit SouthWest Health Line’s website for a full list of pharmacies in London, which may have extended weekend and evening hours.

12. Is Canada Post in the UCC Pharmacy open?

No, the Canada Post storefront in the UCC Pharmacy is closed, effective immediately. Any mail or packages currently at the Canada Post storefront and awaiting customer pick up will be held until the storefront reopens. As a general policy, mail and packages are held for three months until they are returned to the sender. Canada Post has advised that any mail or packages shipped to the UCC storefront for customer pick up will instead be redirected to the Canada Post offices at Masonville Place or Cherryhill Village Mall, whichever is closer.

13. Western is currently operating with essential services only - why are construction workers still on campus?

The Provincial Government has included “construction projects and services required to ensure safe and reliable operations of critical provincial infrastructure” as part of their list of essential services. Several construction projects are continuing on our campus with the contractors ensuring workers on-site are practicing appropriate social distancing measures.

14. What is happening with Spring Convocation?

Western’s Spring Convocation is postponed as part of the University’s larger response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes all scheduled ceremony dates from May 22, 2020 through June 19, 2020. More information can be found at

Important information for clinical/dental faculty, staff in clinical care environments: