Western is planning a phased ‘return to campus’ approach, providing flexibility to adapt and comply with public health and government protocols, and to support employees who may face challenges in balancing home life with work.
Each phase outlined in the framework below allows units to permit employees to have a gradual, rotational, and periodic presence on campus.
Ensuring the health and safety of our campus community is paramount, and meeting physical distancing requirements is critical.
As we gradually transition back to campus, employees will receive information from their supervisors on when they will be required to report to work on campus. Most employees should continue to work from home unless specifically required to come to campus. If staff feel they must come to campus for work, they should speak with their supervisor.
As this phased approach is implemented, more specific details will be shared from the Dean’s Office in each Faculty and from leaders within support units.
In Phase 1 some employees from the following university-level units may return to campus. Anyone who can work from home will continue to do so. Employees required to come to campus will be notified by their supervisor.
- Advancement Operations
- Senior Administrative and Academic Leaders
- Bookstore (course materials shipping)
- Campus Police
- Centre for Teaching & Learning
- Child & Youth Development Clinic
- COVID Research
- Facilities Management
- Faculty Relations
- Financial Services
- Fowler Kennedy
- Fraunhofer Project Centre
- Housing (Residence Admissions & Catering)
- Human Resources (Safety)
- Institutional Planning & Budgeting
- Library (digital support for course materials)
- Office of the Registrar
- Surface Science Western
- Western Technology Services
In Phase 1B faculty members can have access to their offices, and principal investigators can have access to their offices/ labs - subject to approval from the Dean or, if designated, a Department Chair or School Director. Those that can work from home will continue to do so.
Western Libraries staff return to prepare for the introduction of Scan to Deliver and No-Contact Pick-up Collections services this month.
The Leeper Speech and Hearing Clinic is open for remote visits only.
Western’s Emergency Dental Clinic will also open for emergency visits only, starting June 15.
In Phase 2 some employees from the following units may return to campus. Anyone who can work from home will continue to do so. Employees required to come to campus will be notified by their supervisor. Note: The Phase 2 start date was shifted from June 9 to July 2 based on the extension of Ontario’s state of emergency, which was announced on June 2.
- Advanced Facility for Avian Research
- Bookstore & Graphic Services
- Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel
- Communications & Public Affairs
- Community Legal Services
- Environmental Services Western
- Family Practice Clinic
- Graduate Students (Dean or designate approved – some permitted to start June 15, 2020)
- Indigenous Student Centre
- Institute for Chemicals and Fuels from Alternative Resources & LIGAR
- Leeper Speech and Hearing Clinic (remote visits)
- Library (scan to deliver services)
- Postdoctoral Scholars (Dean or designate approved – some permitted to start June 15, 2020)
- Research Data Centre (Social Science)
- Research Parks
- Robarts Research Institute
- School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies Office
- Society of Graduate Students (Executive only)
- Student Experience – Summer Academic Orientation
- Student Health Services
- University Students’ Council (Executive only)
- Western English Language Centre (Education)
- Western International
- Western Libraries
- WindEEE Dome
- Western Interdisciplinary Research Building (WIRB)
In Phase 3 some employees from the following units may return to campus. Anyone who can work from home will continue to do so. Employees required to come to campus will be notified by their supervisor.
- Academic Support & Engagement
- Bookstore (floor staff)
- Continuing Studies
- Faculty Departments
- Library (no-contact circulation services)
- MBA Association
- Off-Campus Housing
- Office of Indigenous Initiatives
- Research Western & WORLDiscoveries
- Student Accessibility Services
- Student Experience: Careers & Experience
- Union / Association Executive Offices
- Western Libraries
In Phase 4 some employees from the following units may return to campus. Anyone who can work from home will continue to do so. Employees required to come to campus will be notified by their supervisor.
- Alumni Relations & Development
- Audiology Clinics
- Books Plus
- Campus Recreation (staff only, not facilities)
- Cronyn Observatory
- Dental Clinics
- Grad Club
- Human Resources (balance)
- Internal Audit
- Legal Counsel
- McIntosh Gallery
- Outdoor Garden Spaces
- Principal Gifts
- Recreation Centre
- TD Stadium
- The Wave
- University Community Centre (no vendors, atrium clear)
- University Secretariat
- Western Libraries
Note: Research labs will open in priority sequence throughout all four phases. More details about research recovery are available on the Western Research website.