Animal Care and Veterinary Services Animal Care and Veterinary Services

Research Education at Western University

Both the CCAC and the University require all individuals, including principal investigators, using animals in academic endeavours or through their employment take animal care and use training.

The minimal requirement for principal investigators at Western and its affiliates is the web-based, 'Basic Animal Care and Use' Course. In addition to this course, anyone involved in hands-on work with the animals is also required to take the relevant web-based instruction and/or hands-on training. If you have been previously trained, If you have been previously trained and you would like to receive an exemption from this training, you will need to complete the following training exemption form [DOC] and submit to This will be forwarded to the ACC for evaluation.

For additional information on research education or training inquiries, please contact

Research Education Topics