Faculty Writing Support Program
Feeling challenged focusing on your academic writing? The Faculty Writing Support Program, led by professors Emily Abrams Ansari and Kelly Olson, in partnership with Research Western, is please to offer a series of initiatives and resources to help you un-block your writing and take it to the next level.
Show Up and Write!
Fridays, 9.30-11:30 a.m. | January 4th – April 5th | Physics & Astronomy Building 117
Need some help committing to a regular writing practice? We have organized a weekly drop-in session every Friday as part of Western's new Faculty Writing Support Program for faculty members.
Come join us to write alongside supportive colleagues from across campus in a quiet, focused environment. We will hold these sessions every Friday between 9:30-11:30 a.m. You don't need to come every week.
- We have booked a large room that seats slightly more than 50 people, so feel free to bring your colleagues along, too.
- This room isn't an especially cozy space for writing, but it does have good availability of power outlets, is centrally located, and provides room to spread out. (Note: we will not be providing refreshments; please bring your own).
- Not to worry if you can't manage the whole two hours, or can't come every week: feel free to come sporadically or regularly, as is useful to you.
- Please note that these sessions will not involve discussions about writing (although you are welcome to have these afterwards). Our plan is for each of us to spend the time on quiet, focused, solitary work in the company of our colleagues.
- No need to register: feel free to show up and write whenever you would like.
Would you benefit from a supportive day of focused writing with your colleagues to set you up to meet writing goals over the months ahead? With Research Western's support, the Faculty Writing Support Program hosts twice-annual writing retreats in early summer and mid-fall.
- When: Next date TBD
- Who: Full- and part-time faculty at Western
- What: After brief introductions and goal-setting, the bulk of the day will be spent writing quietly alongside one another
- Brain Nourishment: Caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages, snacks, and lunch will be provided.
- Application Deadline: Application is now closed.
We have accepted applications from part-time faculty (including those without research appointments) and full-time faculty from all faculties and departments at Western. We selected the final list of participants based on their reasons for wishing to attend, while also attempting to represent the diversity of our colleagues.
Overcoming Burnout, Writer’s Block, Resistance to Writing
- 10 Steps to Reignite Your Flame and Shine Brightly Once More
- 6 Ways to Beat Writer's Block
- Lower Your Standards
- Shut Up and Write
- The Costs of Perfectionism
- Aiding the Writing-Stalled Professor
- How To Restart Your Research This Summer
- A Realistic Summer Writing Schedule
- Planning a Productive Summer
- Regrouping After an Unsuccessful Summer
- No More Post-Summer Regret
- 10 Simple Rules for Scientists: Improving Your Writing Productivity
If you have any additional questions, please contact Emily Abrams Ansari, Associate Professor, Music Research and Composition, or Kelly Olson, Associate Professor, Classical Studies, Women's Studies and Law.