SSHRC Insight Development Grant Program
Insight Development Grants (IDG) support research in its initial stages. The grants enable the development of new research questions, as well as experimentation with new methods, theoretical approaches and/or ideas. Funding is provided for short-term research development projects, of up to two years, proposed by individuals or teams.
Insight Development Grants foster research in its early stages, but are not intended to support large-scale initiatives. Long-term support for research is offered through SSHRC's Insight Grants (IG).
Within the Insight Development Grants funding opportunity, funding is available for two distinct categories of scholars:
- Emerging scholars: This funding supports high-quality research projects by emerging scholars to develop new research questions or approaches. Such projects may build on and further the applicant's (or team's) graduate work and/or represent a continuation of their overall research trajectory.
- Established scholars: Funding for established scholars provides support to explore new research questions and/or approaches that are distinct from the applicant's previous/ongoing research. Research projects should be clearly delimited and in the early stages of the research process. Insight Development Grant funding is not intended to support ongoing research for established scholars.
The maximum value of an Insight Development Grant is $75,000 over one to two years. A minimum budget of $7,000 in at least one of the years is required. For the current competition, at least 50% of funds will be reserved for applications from emerging scholars.
See Eligibility Criteria.
(Researchers may not apply, as applicant, for an IDG and an IG within the same calendar year if the IDG application is successful. A researcher who applied for an IG in October 2020 may apply for an IDG in February 2021, provided that the objectives of the research are significantly different.)
|January 22, 2021
by/before 2 p.m.
Important: When you ‘Verify and Submit’ in the Research Portal the application will be routed to Western’s Research Services for review. The application will not go directly to SSHRC. On request, applications can be returned to the Applicant for further editing between the internal deadline and the sponsor deadline. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
|February 2, 2021
by/before 2 p.m.
|Submission of final application in the Research Portal. Research Services is responsible for forwarding the final application to SSHRC before the sponsor deadline.|
- Research Portal
- Canadian Common CV
- SSHRC Insight Development Grants
- SSHRC IDG application instructions (updated Jan. 7, 2021)
- SSHRC IDG webinar link—English (webinar on Dec. 18, 2020)
- SSHRC IDG Webinar slides—English (updated Jan. 12, 2021 )
- SSHRC Manual for Adjudication Committee Members 2020-2021
- Selection Committees for IDGs: 2020-2021 Competition
- Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency
- Knowledge Mobilizations for SSHRC IDG handout (January 12, 2021)
For more information, or questions relating to the Insights Development Grants program, please contact: email@example.com