SSHRC Insight Development Grant Program
Insight Development Grants (IDG) support research in its initial stages. The grants enable the development of new research questions, as well as experimentation with new methods, theoretical approaches and/or ideas. Funding is provided for short-term research development projects, of up to two years, proposed by individuals or teams.
Insight Development Grants foster research in its early stages, but are not intended to support large-scale initiatives. Long-term support for research is offered through SSHRC's Insight Grants (IG).
Within the Insight Development Grants funding opportunity, funding is available for two distinct categories of scholars:
- Emerging scholars: This funding supports high-quality research projects by emerging scholars to develop new research questions or approaches. Such projects may build on and further the applicant's (or team's) graduate work and/or represent a continuation of their overall research trajectory.
- Established scholars: Funding for established scholars provides support to explore new research questions and/or approaches that are distinct from the applicant's previous/ongoing research. Research projects should be clearly delimited and in the early stages of the research process. Insight Development Grant funding is not intended to support ongoing research for established scholars.
The maximum value of an Insight Development Grant is $75,000 over one to two years. A minimum budget of $7,000 in at least one of the years is required. For the current competition, at least 50% of funds will be reserved for applications from emerging scholars.
See Eligibility Criteria.
(Researchers may not apply, as applicant, for an IDG and an IG within the same calendar year if the IDG application is successful. A researcher who applied for an IG in October 2019 may apply for an IDG in February 2020, provided that the objectives of the research are significantly different.)
- January 24, 2020 by/before 2 p.m. - Submission of 1) ROLA proposal for approvals and 2) submission of a complete PDF copy of the application form & CCV (exported from Research Portal - drafts accepted) to email@example.com.
- February 3*, 2020 by/before 2 p.m. - Submission of final application in the Research Portal. (*Feb. 2 is a Sunday so the deadline moves to the next business day. When you submit in the Portal, your application is routed to Research Western for final submission to SSHRC.)
- Research Portal
- Canadian Common CV
- SSHRC Insight Development Grants
- SSHRC IDG application instructions
- SSHRC IDG webinar link (Dec. 18, 2019)
- SSHRC IDG Webinar slides (Dec. 18, 2019)
- SSHRC Manual for Adjudication Committee Members 2019-2020
- Selection Committees for IDGs: 2018-2019 Competition
- Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency
For more information, or questions relating to the Insights Development Grants program, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org