SSHRC Insight Development Grant Program
Insight Development Grants support research in its initial stages. The grants enable the development of new research questions, as well as experimentation with new methods, theoretical approaches and/or ideas. Funding is provided for short-term research development projects, of up to two years, proposed by individuals or teams.
Insight Development Grants foster research in its early stages, but are not intended to support large-scale initiatives. Long-term support for research is offered through SSHRC's Insight Grants.
Within the Insight Development Grants funding opportunity, funding is available for two distinct categories of scholars:
- Emerging scholars: This funding supports high-quality research projects by emerging scholars to develop new research questions or approaches. Such projects may build on and further the applicant's (or team's) graduate work and/or represent a continuation of their overall research trajectory.
- Established scholars: Funding for established scholars provides support to explore new research questions and/or approaches that are distinct from the applicant's previous/ongoing research. Research projects should be clearly delimited and in the early stages of the research process. Insight Development Grant funding is not intended to support ongoing research for established scholars.
Value and Duration
The maximum value of an Insight Development Grant is $75,000 over one to two years. A minimum budget of $7,000 in at least one of the years is required. For the current competition, at least 50% of funds will be reserved for applications from emerging scholars.
See Eligibility Criteria.
*Researchers may not apply, as applicant, for an Insight Development Grant and an Insight Grant within the same calendar year. For instance, a researcher who applies for an Insight Development Grant in February 2018 may not apply for an Insight Grant in October 2018, whether successful in the competition or not. However, a researcher who applied for an Insight Grant in October 2017 may apply for an Insight Development Grant in February 2018, provided that the objectives of the research are significantly different.
- RD&S Internal ROLA proposal and Application Deadline: 5PM January 26, 2018
- SSHRC Deadline: *2PM* February 2, 2018
- Research Portal
- Canadian Common CV
- SSHRC Insight Development Grants
- SSHRC Insight Development Grants - Instructions
- Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency
If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com