CIHR Project Grant
The Project Grant program is designed to capture ideas with the greatest potential for important advances in fundamental or applied health-related knowledge, health care, health systems, and/or health outcomes by supporting projects with a specific purpose and a defined endpoint. The best ideas may stem from new, incremental, innovative, and/or high-risk lines of inquiry or knowledge translation approaches.
*NEW mandatory requirement (as of May 15, 2018)
Because CIHR is committed to ensuring that its programs and peer review processes result in the fair and impartial treatment of all participants, applicants to CIHR programs must complete an Equity and Diversity Questionnaire prior to submitting their next application (N.B. not required at 'Registration' stage). The questionnaire consists of five questions and should take about 5 minutes to complete online. Applicants only need to complete the questionnaire once (their responses will be saved once submitted).
- Applicants may submit a maximum of two (2) Project Grant applications in the role of Nominated Principal Investigator (NPA).
- Response to Previous Reviews: Applicants who are resubmitting an unsuccessful application may provide a response (up to 2 pages) to previous reviewer's comments. Applicants who upload a "response to previous reviews" are required to also include all the reviews being addressed. Your 2-page response to reviews and the additional previous reviews being addressed must be uploaded as a single PDF attachment. Please see Application Instructions for updated, detailed instructions.
- Sex and Gender Considerations: For the Fall 2018 competition, the sex and gender questions in the full application have been reworded to clarify what is meant by 'taken into account' within a research proposal (i.e. in your research design, methods, analysis and interpretation, and/or dissemination of findings) to align with guidance provided to peer reviewers on the assessment of sex as a biological variable and/or gender as a socio-cultural factor within research proposals. Details are included in the Application Instructions.
- CIHR Institute Priority Announcements (PAs) are again available for the Fall 2018 Project Grant competition. PAs offer additional sources of funding for highly ranked and competitive applications that were not funded through the Project Grant competition budget. For further information about this mechanism, review the PA Funding Opportunity Details page and the Frequently Asked Questions.
- For Commercialization projects, a Research/Technical Plan and a Commercialization plan must be integrated into the 10-page proposal. Consult CIHR's Commercialization Projects website, and (see links under 'Resources' below) the Peer Review Manual, Funding Opportunity Details and the Application Instructions for details.
- All application attachments must adhere to CIHR's Acceptable Application Formats and Attachments.
(N.B. Check with your department/faculty for additional deadlines)
- Submission of Registration (ResearchNet): August 15, 2018 by/before 8 p.m. EDT
- Submission of a ROLA proposal and a draft Application to email@example.com: September 5, 2018 by/before 2 p.m.
- Submission of Application (ResearchNet): September 12, 2018 by/before 2 p.m.
- Anticipated Notice of Decision: January 23, 2019
Note: When you submit your Registration in ResearchNet, it will be sent directly to CIHR. When you submit your Application in ResearchNet, it will be routed through Research Development & Services for review and final submission to CIHR.
Project Grant: Registration Process
- Registration instructions *Registration open from July 11 to August 15, 2018
- A Common CV is not required at this stage
Project Grant: Application Process
- Application instructions *Application opens when Registration is submitted
- Project Biosketch - Quick Reference Guide
- Project Co-Applicant CV - Quick Reference Guide
- Funding Opportunity Details - Project Grant
- Peer Review Manual - Project Grant
- Peer Review Committee Mandates - Project Grant Program
- Project Grant learning modules & webinar schedule - July/August/September, 2018
- Common CV
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Western's Research Development & Services)