CIHR Project Grant
The Project Grant program is designed to capture ideas with the greatest potential for important advances in fundamental or applied health-related knowledge, health care, health systems, and/or health outcomes by supporting projects or programs of research proposed and conducted by individual researchers or groups of researchers in all areas of health. The best ideas may stem from new, incremental, innovative, and/or high-risk lines of inquiry or knowledge translation approaches.
Equity and Diversity Questionnaire (mandatory as of May 15, 2018):Because CIHR is committed to ensuring that its programs and peer review processes result in the fair and impartial treatment of all participants, applicants to CIHR programs must complete an Equity and Diversity Questionnaire prior to submitting their next application (N.B. not required at 'Registration' stage). The questionnaire consists of five questions and should take about five minutes to complete online. Applicants only need to complete the questionnaire once (their responses will be saved once submitted).
- Applicants may submit a maximum of two (2) Project Grant applications in the role of Nominated Principal Investigator (NPA).
- Response to Previous Reviews: If you are resubmitting an unsuccessful Project Grant application, you may provide a response (up to 2 pages) to previous reviewers’ comments. Applicants who upload a “response to previous reviews” must include all the reviewers’ comments being addressed in the response (the reviews do not count toward the 2 page response limit). They are not required to include all the reviews provided in the Results/Reviews task. For example, if the applicant is providing a response to only reviewer 1's comments, they are only to include the reviewer 1's review as this is the only review (out of possible three) being addressed. Your 2-page response to reviews and the reviews being addressed must be uploaded as a single PDF attachment. Please see Application Instructions for updated, detailed instructions.
- Sex and Gender Considerations: Reviewers will be explicitly assessing whether the integration of sex (as a biological variable) and/or gender (as a socio-cultural factor) is a strength, a weakness or not applicable to the proposal. Reviewers will also be prompted to comment on their assessment and asked to provide recommendations to the applicants on how they might improve the strength of their applications with respect to the integration of sex and/or gender. As such, and in addition to the answers you provide for the sex and/or gender -specific questions as noted above, you are asked to include details about how sex as a biological variable and/or gender as a socio-cultural factor is integrated in your research design, methods, analysis and interpretation, and/or dissemination of findings within your research proposal, if applicable.
- CIHR Institute Priority Announcements (PAs) are available for the Fall 2019 Project Grant competition. PAs offer additional sources of funding for highly ranked and competitive applications that were not funded through the Project Grant competition budget. For further information about this mechanism, review the PA Funding Opportunity Details page and the Frequently Asked Questions.
- For Commercialization Projects, a Research/Technical Plan and a Commercialization plan must be integrated into the 10-page proposal. Consult CIHR's Commercialization Projects website, and (see links under 'Resources' below) the Peer Review Manual, Funding Opportunity Details and the Application Instructions for details.
- All application attachments must adhere to CIHR's Acceptable Application Formats and Attachments.
Key Deadlines:(N.B. Check with your department/faculty for additional deadlines)
- Submission of Registration (ResearchNet): August 14, 2019 by/before 8 p.m. EDT
- Submission of a ROLA proposal and a draft Application to firstname.lastname@example.org: September 3, 2019 by/before 2 p.m.
- Submission of Application (ResearchNet): September 11, 2019 by/before 2 p.m.
- Anticipated Notice of Decision: January 22, 2020
Project Grant Registration Instructions:
- Registration instructions *Registration is open July 17 through August 14, 2019
Project Grant Application Instructions:
- Application instructions*Application opens when Registration is submitted
- Project Biosketch - Quick Reference Guide
- Funding Opportunity Details - Project Grant
- Peer Review Manual - Project Grant
- Peer Review Committee Mandates - Project Grant Program
- Learning for Applicants
- Project Grant webinar schedule
For more information, or questions relating to the Project Grant program, please contact Research Western at email@example.com