Early Researcher Awards
The Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade (MEDJCT) has announced a call for Round 15 of the Early Researcher Awards (ERA) program. The ERA program provides funding to recently-appointed researchers working at publicly funded Ontario research institutions to build a research team.
- ERA Round 15 Information Session:
- Date: Thursday, June 20th
- Time: 9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- Location: Somerville House, room 3317
- August 15, 2019: First draft submitted to RDS if participating in internal peer review
- August 29, 2019: Revised draft submitted to RDS if participating in internal peer review; first draft if not participating in internal peer review
- September 12, 2019: Peer reviewer comments returned to applicants
- September 26, 2019: Reference letters submitted to RDS
- October 3, 2019: ROLA proposal and final application submitted to RDS
- October 10, 2019: Submission of applications to the Ministry.
Full-timefaculty member or principal investigator at an eligible research institution at the time of application;
- Started your academic research career on or after January 1, 2014;
- Completed your first
PhD, DVM or MD on or after January 1, 2009;
- Have not already held an Early Researcher Award; and
- Not a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair.
Each award is a maximum of $100,000 and must be matched by an additional $50,000 from the researcher’s institution and/or partner organization. Matching funds should be discussed with the applicant's Faculty.
The government will provide up to $40,000 to the institution for indirect costs.
For full program details, visit the Early Researcher Awards website.
- ERA Program Guidelines
- ERA Round 15 Application Form (fillable PDF)
- Western ERA Application Guide - Round 15 (Western ID/password required)
- Slides from Western’s ERA Information Session, June 20, 2019 (Western ID/password required)
- MRIS ERA Round 14 Presentation, April 25, 2018
- Example ERA Application Assessment
- Guide for Reference Letters (Western ID/password required)
- The Craft of Writing Effectively
- Youth Outreach Activities
For more information, or questions relating to the ERA program, please contact Alda O'Grady (519-661-2111 ext. 84620), Carolyn Paterson (519-661-2111 ext. 82262) or Julaine Hall (519-661-2111 ext. 87970)