Early Researcher Awards
The Ontario Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science (MRIS) has announced a call for Round 13 of the Early Researcher Awards (ERA) program. The ERA program provides funding to recently-appointed researchers working at publicly funded Ontario research institutions to build a research team.
- June 14, 2017: Western ERA Information Session
- June 20, 2017: MRIS ERA Information Session
- July 4, 2017: Internal deadline for Notice of Intent submission
- July 7, 2017: Submission of NOIs to the Ministry at 1 p.m.
- July 25, 2017: First draft submitted to RDS if participating in internal peer review
- August 8, 2017: Revised draft submitted to RDS if participating in internal peer review; first draft if not participating in internal peer review
- August 22, 2017: Peer reviewer comments returned to applicants
- August 29, 2017: ROLA proposal, final application, and reference letters (hard copy or email) submitted to RDS
- September 5, 2017: Submission of applications to the Ministry at 1 p.m.
- Full-time faculty member or principal investigator at an eligible research institution at the time of application;
- Started your academic research career no more than five years ago (as of July 1, 2017);
- Completed your first PhD, DVM or MD no more than 10 years ago (as of July 1, 2017);
- Have not already held an Early Researcher Award; and
- Not a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair.
Eligible interruptions, such as parental leaves or mandatory training (e.g., medical residencies) are taken into consideration when determining applicant eligibility. Please contact Research Development if you have questions regarding your eligibility.
Each award to a leading researcher is a maximum of $100,000 and must be matched by an additional $50,000 from the researcher’s institution and/or partner organization. The government will provide up to $40,000 to your research centre for indirect costs.
For full program details, visit the Early Researcher Awards website.
Additional Documents and Resources
Please note that the NOI and application forms are fillable PDFs and must be opened in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
For more information, or questions about the above documents, please contact Antoinette Martin (519-661-2111 ext. 84620) or Carolyn Paterson (ext. 82262).