Cannabis Research

decorative image of cannabis plants


The Cannabis Act and its Regulations provide, among other things, the framework for legal access to cannabis and control and regulate its production, distribution and sale. Under this framework, a person is required to obtain a license issued by Health Canada in order to conduct various activities with cannabis, including research. Applicants and License Holders are responsible for compliance with the Cannabis Act and its Regulations as well as compliance with other applicable federal, provincial and territorial legislation and municipal by-laws.
Cannabis Institutional License

The Vice-President (Research), through Western Research, is leading an effort to obtain an institutional cannabis research license from Health Canada. If you are, or will be, obtaining cannabis for research purposes or have any questions please contact Grace Kelly, Manager, Research Compliance & Education.

Institutional License Next Steps

Once Western is granted the institutional license, the university will issue permits to Principal Investigators using cannabis for research purposes. More information about this will be communicated by email, and through this website over the coming months including requirements and procedures as they are developed.

Note: if you are currently conducting research with cannabis and have already applied for, and received, a license from Health Canada, please continue to use your own license for the time being, but please also complete the survey so we have an understanding of use/planned use across campus.

Institutional License Timeline

  • Health Canada has advised us we can expect to receive our institutional cannabis license approximately 180 days after we submit our application.
  • If your research requires a license prior to Summer 2022 (the anticipated timing for us to receive our institutional license), please obtain an individual project licence.

Cannabis Research Resources


For more information, please contact Erika Basile, Director, Research Ethics & Compliance, 519-661-2111 ext. 86764.