Animal Research Education


Both the CCAC and the University require all individuals, including principal investigators, using animals in 'academic endeavours or through their employment' take animal care and use training. The minimal requirement for principal investigators at Western and its affiliates is the web-based, 'Basic Animal Care and Use' Course. In addition to this course, anyone involved in hands-on work with the animals is also required to take the relevant web-based instruction and/or hands-on training. If you have been previously trained, you will need to demonstrate the required skills. For more information, please visit Animal Care & Veterinary Services or email:

Supplementary Educational Materials