Carri Hand, PhD
Room 2535, Elborn College
519 661-2111 x88963
- PhD (McMaster)
- MSc (McMaster)
- BScOT (Western)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Older adults’ lives in their neighbourhoods, particularly their participation in daily activities and occupations, social engagement, and mobility
- Relationships between the person and their physical and social environments; age-friendly communities; aging in place
- Strategies to create environments that support older adults’ participation and engagement in their communities
- Services and for older adults that promote their participation in activities and occupations and social connectedness
- The role of occupational therapy in primary care
- Measurement of occupational performance, participation in occupations, and quality of life, particularly in primary care settings
- Research approaches include:
- Community-based participatory approaches
- Qualitative methods
- Geo-spatial techniques
- Survey research
- Chum, K., Fitzhenry, G., Robinson, K., Murphy, M., Phan, D., Alvarez, J., Hand, C., Laliberte Rudman, D., & McGrath, C. (2020). Examining Community-Based Housing Models to Support Aging in Place: A Scoping Review. The Gerontologist. gnaa142, https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnaa142
- Corrado, A.-M., Benjamin-Thomas, T. E., McGrath, C., Hand, C., Laliberte Rudman, D. (2019). Participatory action research with older adults: A critical interpretive synthesis. The Gerontologist, gnz080, https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnz080
- Hand, C., McGrath, C., Laliberte Rudman, D., Donnelly, C., Sands, M. (2019). Initiating participatory action research with older adults: Lessons learned through reflexivity. Canadian Journal on Aging, 38, 512-520. doi.org/10.1017/S0714980819000072
- Hand, C. (2019). Older women’s engagement in community occupations: Considerations of lifespan and place. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 1-10. doi.org/10.1080/11038128.2018.1550529
- Benjamin-Thomas, T. E., Corrado, A. M., McGrath, C., Laliberte Rudman, D. L., & Hand, C. (2018). Working towards the promise of participatory action research: Learning from ageing research exemplars. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 17(1), 1609406918817953.
- Hand, C., Laliberte Rudman D., Huot, S., Pack, R & Gilliland, J. (2020). Enacting agency: Exploring how older adults shape their neighbourhoods. Ageing & Society, 40, 565-583. doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X18001150
- Howrey, B., & Hand, C. (2018). Measuring social participation in the health and retirement study. The Gerontologist, gny094, 1-9. doi.org/10.1093/geront/gny094
- Jónasdóttir, S.K., Hand, C., Misener, L., & Polgar, J. (2018). Applying case study methodology to occupational science literature. Journal of Occupational Science, 25(3), 393-407, doi.org/10.1080/14427591.2018.1480409.
- Pack, R., Hand, C., Laliberte Rudman., D, & Huot S. (2019). Governing the ageing body: Explicating the negotiation of ‘positive’ ageing in daily life. Ageing & Society, 1-24 doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X18000442.
- Hand, C. L., Laliberte Rudman, D. L., Huot, S., Gilliland, J. A., & Pack, R. L. (2018). Toward understanding person–place transactions in neighborhoods: A qualitative-participatory geospatial approach. The Gerontologist, 58, 89–100. Special Issue: Aging in Context doi:10.1093/geront/gnx064, first published online May 10, 2017.
- Hand, C., Retrum, J, Ware, G., Iwasaki, P., Moaalii, G. & Main, D. (2017 Oct). Understanding social isolation among urban aging adults: Informing occupation-based approaches. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health, 37(4), 88-198. Special Issue: Occupational Therapy and Public Health. doi:10.1177/1539449217727119
- Hand, C., Rudman, D., Huot, S., Gilliland, J., & Pack, R. Toward understanding person-place transactions in neighbourhoods: A qualitative-participatory geospatial approach. Forthcoming in The Gerontologist.
- Hand, C. & Howrey, B. (2017). Associations among neighborhood characteristics, mobility limitation, and social participation in late life. Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. Published online ahead of print February 1, 2017. doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbw215.
- Hand, C., Huot, S., Rudman, D. & Wijekoon, S. (2017). Qualitative-geospatial methods of exploring person-place transactions in aging adults: A scoping review. The Gerontologist, 00, 1–15. doi:10.1093/geront/gnw130 Published online January 9, 2017
- Hand, C. (2016). Measuring health related quality of life in adults with chronic conditions in primary care settings: Critical review of concepts and three tools. Canadian Family Physician, 62, e375-e383.
- Donnelly, C., LeClair, L., Wener, P., Hand, C., & Letts, L. (2016). Occupational therapy in primary care: Results from a national survey. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 83, 135-142. E-pub April 12, 2016 doi:10.1177/0008417416637186
- Director, Aging and Engaging in Communities Research Lab
- Member, Centre for Research in Health Equity and Social Inclusion
- Occupational therapy practice at community levels; communities as clients