Carri Hand, PhD
School of Occupational Therapy
Room 2535, Elborn College
519 661-2111 x88963
- PhD (McMaster)
- MSc (McMaster)
- BScOT (Western)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Influence of the built and social neighbourhood environment on occupational performance and participation in older adults; age-friendly communities; aging in place
- Social connectedness, social inclusion and social engagement among older adults in community and primary care settings
- Negotiation of environments to achieve participation in occupations
- Primary health care services for older adults with chronic diseases; occupational therapy in primary health care
- Measurement of occupational performance, participation in occupations, and quality of life, particularly in primary care settings
- Research approaches include:
- Community-based participatory approaches
- Qualitative methods
- Geo-spatial techniques
- Survey research
- Analysis of large datasets
- Hand, C., Rudman, D., Huot, S., Gilliland, J., & Pack, R. Toward understanding person-place transactions in neighbourhoods: A qualitative-participatory geospatial approach. Forthcoming in The Gerontologist.
- Hand, C. & Howrey, B. (2017). Associations among neighborhood characteristics, mobility limitation, and social participation in late life. Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. Published online ahead of print February 1, 2017. doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbw215.
- Hand, C., Huot, S., Rudman, D. & Wijekoon, S. (2017). Qualitative-geospatial methods of exploring person-place transactions in aging adults: A scoping review. The Gerontologist, 00, 1–15. doi:10.1093/geront/gnw130 Published online January 9, 2017
- Hand, C. (2016). Measuring health related quality of life in adults with chronic conditions in primary care settings: Critical review of concepts and three tools. Canadian Family Physician, 62, e375-e383.
- Donnelly, C., LeClair, L., Wener, P., Hand, C., & Letts, L. (2016). Occupational therapy in primary care: Results from a national survey. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 83, 135-142. E-pub April 12, 2016 doi:10.1177/0008417416637186
- Hand, C. (2015). Associations between neighbourhood characteristics and community mobility in older adults with chronic health conditions. Disability and Rehabilitation, 38, 1664-1671. doi: 10.3109/09638288.2015.1107638
- Hand, C., McColl, M.A., Birtwhistle, R., Kotecha, J., Batchelor, D., & Hall Barber, K. (2014). Social isolation in older adults who are frequent users of primary care services. Canadian Family Physician, 60, e322-e329.
- Hand, C., Wilkins, S., Letts, L., & Law, M. (2013). Renegotiating environments to achieve participation: A metasynthesis of qualitative chronic disease research. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 80, 251-262.
- Hand, C., Law, M., McColl, M.A., Hanna, S., Elliott, S. (2013). An examination of social support influences on participation for older adults with chronic health conditions. Disability and Rehabilitation, 36, 1439-1444.
- Hand, C., Law, M., Hanna, S., Elliott, S., & McColl, M.A. (2012). Neighbourhood influences on participation in activities among older adults with chronic health conditions. Health & Place, 18, 869–876.
- Aging and Engaging in Communities Research Lab
- Taking Neighborhood Health to Heart, Denver, Colorado
- Professionalism and occupational therapy practice
- Systems-level and social impacts on participation in occuations