Liliana Alvarez, PhD
Room 2581, Elborn College
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (Western)
- PhD (Alberta)
- MSc (Universidad de Los Andes, Colombia)
- BScOT (Universidad del Rosario, Colombia)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Driving performance and fitness to drive of at-risk drivers
- Road safety
- Driving simulation and vehicle automation
- Injury prevention
- Technology in health promotion and rehabilitation
- Evidence-based practice
- #imgonnadoit: Exploring young driver's exposure to social media content around cannabis and driving (SSHRC Explore)
- Preliminary efficacy of targeted in-vehicle technology on the driving performance of individuals with Parkinson´s disease: A pilot study (Parkinson Canada Pilot Project Grant)
- Robotic Assistive Technologies: Principles and Practice (Cook and Encarnacao, Eds.): Ethical and Social Implications of the Use of Robots in Rehabilitation Practice
- Driving Simulation for Assessment, Intervention, and Training: A guide for Occupational Therapy and Health Care Professionals (Classen, Ed.): Chapters 13- Simulated Driving Performance of Healthy Teens; & Chapter 22- In-vehicle technology and Driving Simulation
- International Occupational Therapy (Barrett, Coppola, Alvarez, Eds.). AOTA Press, 2020
- Alvarez, L., Colonna, R. (2020). Dynamic display interventions for hazard anticipation in young drivers: A Delphi study. Journal of Transport and Health, 19: 1-10. doi.org:10.1016/j.jth.2020.100951
- Toro-Hernández, M.L., Alvarez, L., Vargas- Chaparro, M.C., Goldberg, M. (2020). Final year students’ knowledge on basic manual wheelchair provision: the state of occupational therapy programs in Colombia. Occupational Therapy International, 2020, 3025456. doi.org/10.1155/2020/3025456.
- Knott, M., Classen, S., Krasniuk, S., Tippett, M., Alvarez, L. (2020). Insufficient Sleep and Fitness to Drive in Shift Workers: A Systematic Literature Review. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 134, 105234. doi: 1016/j.aap.2019.07.010.
- Alvarez, L. (2019). Cannabis and Driving: Lessons from an Unlikely Teacher. University of Toronto Medical Journal, 96(3): 74-77.
- Alvarez, L., Classen, S., Medhizadah, S. (2019). Clinical utility of the DriveFocus™ intervention on young drivers with and without experience: A case study. Frontiers in Public Health- Public Health Education and Promotion, 7(123).
- Holmes, J., Alvarez, L., Robinson, A., Gilhuly, K., Horst, E., Kowalchuk, A., Rathwell, K., Reklitis, Y., Wheildon, N., Johnson, A. (2019). Driving with Parkinson’s disease: Exploring Lived Experience. Parkinson’s disease, Volume 2019: 1-7.
- Magalhaes, L., Farias, L., Rivas-Quarnetu, N., Alvarez, L., Serrata Malfitano, A. (2019). The development of occupational science outside the Anglophone sphere: Enacting global collaboration. Journal of Occupational Science, 26(2): 181-192. DOI: 10.1080/14427591.2018.1530133. Alvarez, L., Classen, S., Medhizadah, S., Knott, M., Asantei, K., He, W., Feher, A., Moulin, M.S. (2018). Feasibility of DriveFocus™ and Driving Simulation Interventions in Young Drivers. OTJR: Occupation, Participation, and Health, 38(4): 245-253.
- Smith, E., Gowran, R., Mannan, H., Donnelly, B., Alvarez, L., et al. (2018). Enabling appropriate personnel skills-mix towards progressive realization of equitable access to assistive technology. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 13(5): 445- 453.
- Alvarez, L., Classen, S., Medhizadah, S., Knott, M., He, W. (2018). Pilot efficacy of a DriveFocus™ intervention on the driving performance of young drivers. Frontiers in Public Health, 6(125):1-9. IF: 2.031
- Alvarez, L., Classen, S. (2018). Driving with Parkinson`s: Cut points for clinical predictors of on-road outcomes. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 85(3):232-241.
- Neurological, cardiovascular, and and musculoskeletal disorders and their impact on occupational performance and participation
- Clinical reasoning and consolidation of practice
- 2019 Invited Member, World Health Organization (WHO) Development Group – AMPUTATION for the development of WHO’s Package of Rehabilitation Interventions (PRI)
- 2019 Certificate of Appreciation, Board of Trustees of the American Occupational Therapy Foundation. In recognition and appreciation for contributions to the profession. New Orleans, Louisiana, April 6, 2019
- 2018 Excellence in Teaching Award, School of Occupational Therapy, Western University, April 13th, 2018, London, Ontario, Canada
- 2017 Invited Member, World Health Organization (WHO) Global Cooperation on Assistive Technology Summit, August 3rd and 4th, 2017, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2015 Keynote Speaker, International Breakfast, American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) 95th Annual Conference, Nashville, Tennessee
- Program Coordinator - Research, World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) (2018-2022)
- Principal Delegate - Colombia, World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) (2012-)