Western Community Fall Update
September 01, 2021 11:30 AM
Dear Western Community,
Late yesterday the Ministry of Colleges and Universities issued an updated framework for post-secondary institutions with strong vaccination policies – permitting flexible capacity limits and physical distancing requirements in indoor instructional spaces, including classrooms, labs and libraries.
This framework, which comes into effect September 7, will enable Western to implement the plans we have been creating for several months to safely return to in-person learning.
Working closely with Middlesex-London Health Unit, we have taken extensive measures to ensure our students have the rich, on-campus learning experience they expect.
As part of our vaccination policy we are requiring proof of vaccination to attend campus, and through that process we’re seeing early evidence of a campus community vaccination rate in the high-90 per cent range as we approach our September 7 deadline.
As we safely welcome back students, staff and faculty in the coming days, we want to remind everyone of the numerous health and safety measures that are in place already:
- Strengthened vaccination policy and mandatory proof of vaccination status
- Vaccination policy compliance
- Mandatory three-layer masks indoors
- Meeting and exceeding ventilation standards
- On-campus vaccination and testing centre
- Vaccination rate awareness survey
- Wastewater testing in some residences
- Enhanced cleaning and sanitization measures
- Continued health screening through daily return-to-campus survey
This fall, all of us are looking forward to delivering the kind of excellent in-person experience for which Western is known. Of course, the university will continue to remain flexible, and will be ready to respond to any further direction from our public health partners.
Our community has persevered brilliantly during this most challenging time, and we will continue to work together to support a safe community.
Alan Shepard, President and Vice-Chancellor
Lauretta Frederking, President, Brescia University College
Barry Craig, President, Huron University College
David Malloy, President, King’s University College
CONTACTS AND SUPPORTS
- New students: email@example.com
- Office of the Registrar: www.registrar.uwo.ca/services/contact_us.html
- Graduate students: https://grad.uwo.ca/administration/directory.html
- Residence inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- International students: email@example.com
- Health-related inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-661-3030
- Student Support & Case Management : email@example.com or 519-661-2111 x89152
- Vaccination information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Well-being supports: Confidential services through Morneau Shepell called LifeWorks
- Health-related inquiries: Contact your family doctor, Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000, or Workplace Health at Western at 519-661-2047
- Accessibility needs: email@example.com
- Other inquiries: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vaccination information: email@example.com
AFFILIATED UNIVERSITY COLLEGES