Appeals and Petitions
Requests for Academic Relief
Students have the right to request academic relief from marks assigned by instructors on tests, assignments and final examinations.
The order of requests are as follows:
- Instructor by informal consultation
- Department chair by written request
- Faculty Associate Dean (Academic) which offers the course by written request
If the instructor is unavailable for consultation or does not act, the student may proceed to the Departmental level.
Deadline to submit your request:
A: Term marks
- request to the instructor must be submitted as soon as possible after the original mark is assigned;
- written request to the Department Chair must be submitted within 3 weeks of the instructor's decision;
- written request to the Associate Dean (Academic) must be submitted within 3 weeks of the Chair's decision
B: Final Grades
- request to the instructor must be as soon as possible after the final mark is issued;
- written request to the Department Chair, depends on the time of year:
- January marks = January 31
- April/May marks = June 30
- Intersession marks = July 31
- Summer Evening/Distance Studies marks = August 31
- Summer Day marks = September 15
- written request to the Associate Dean (Academic) must be submitted within 3 weeks of the issuance of the Chair's decision.
Note: The Office of the Ombudsperson is available to assist you in the preparation of your request for relief.
Requests for Relief: Decanal Level
The Associate Dean (Academic) in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities is responsible for dealing with student requests for academic relief at the decanal level.
All requests must be in writing and include the following information:
- the nature of the petition
- the grounds for requesting the relief
- original supporting documentation (for Physician support, the Student Medical Certificate; for other support, it must be in letter form and on letterhead)
- supporting letters from other parties if they bear directly on the request for relief
Appeals may be delivered in person to The International and Graduate Affairs Building, RM 1N20 or sent via mail to:
Associate Dean (Academic)
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
The International and Graduate Affairs Building, RM 1N20
The University of Western Ontario
London, ON N6A 3K7
Appealing to the Senate Review Board Academic (SRBA)
The Deans' rulings in academic matters can be appealed to the Senate Review Board Academic (SRBA). It is the final body in the appeal process and its decisions are final. The deadline for an appeal to SRBA is six weeks after a decision has been issued by the Dean. For more information about appeals to SRBA see the Academic Calendar
and the Ombudsperson’s website
Waiver of Progression Requirements
Students who have been required to withdraw from university have the right to petition for a Waiver of Progression Requirements when they have had serious medical or compassionate issues which inhibited their academic year.
Print and complete the Waiver form and be sure to submit before June 30 of the calendar year in which you were required to withdraw. This deadline is strictly enforced.
Petition for a Waiver of Progression Requirements
Read the form carefully and answer the questions clearly and succinctly.