Information for Students

Important information for learners, clinical /dental faculty, staff in clinical care environments:

General FAQs

1. What is happening with classes?

From March 18 until the end of the terms, classes at Western have moved online.

2. Are any buildings open on campus?

Based on a directive from the provincial government, all buildings on campus will be closed as of March 25 for at least 14 days, with the exception of some student residences. Restricted card access will be granted only to employees required to work on campus,  as approved by Deans or Vice-Presidents.

3. Are residences open?

While Western has consolidated its residences as much as possible, we will continue to support students who cannot return home due to travel restrictions, health, personal circumstances, or various obligations.

Our priority is to ensure students remaining in our traditional-style buildings are moved to rooms and buildings that better support physical and social distancing. Details and more information.

4. How can I access campus mental or physical health supports during this time?

Western’s Health & Wellness student clinic remains open, however, only those with an in-person appointment scheduled should visit UCC 11. We are currently booking appointments via email. Our staff are checking email and responding Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

If you are a student in need mental or physical health support, you can book a telephone counseling appointment or an in-person or telehealth appointment with a doctor by emailing us at For information about supports available outside of office hours please visit our website

As we continue to monitor the ongoing COVID-19 situation, our hours of operation may change. Please email the clinic for the most up-to-date hours. We ask that you avoid booking non-essential medical visits as much as possible during this time.


5. Are Western Libraries open?

No, Western Libraries locations are closed. All services have moved to online only, including collections, until the end of the current term. To learn more, please visit


6. What is the plan for final exams?

An Institutional Framework for Exam Alternatives has been shared with professors as they plan alternative assessments in place of final exams. Please note that each program will decide on solutions that are appropriate to specific courses; solutions will vary across campus. For more information, please visit

7. For final course grades, is Pass/Fail an option?

Yes, Western has introduced the option for students to change their numerical grade to Pass/Fail. In addition, the deadline to drop a Winter 2020 half course or a 2019-20 full year course without academic penalty will be further extended towards the end of May to align with this opportunity. These options are not available for Faculty of Law courses, as Ontario faculties of law have adopted a common grading process. Please visit for full details and updates.

8. What is the deadline to drop a Winter 2020 half course or a 2019-20 full year course?

The deadline to drop a Winter 2020 half course or a 2019-20 full year course without academic penalty will be further extended towards the end of May. Please visit for full details and updates.

9. Are there steps I can take to help me stay healthy?

Yes. As with most respiratory illnesses, the Health Unit recommends the following to stay healthy and to prevent the spread of viruses:

  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Wash your hands with soap and warm water often, for at least 20 seconds.
  • If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Cover coughs and sneezes with your sleeve; or cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, then throw the tissue in the garbage.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Clean and disinfect high-touch objects and surfaces frequently.

10. Are there things I can do to reduce the risk and spread of infection?

Yes. You play an important role in helping to protect yourself and your community.

  • Avoid crowded places, especially places or events with more than 50 people.
  • Large gatherings or celebrations create increased risk for the spread of COVID-19.
  • Make smart choices about how you choose to spend your social time. As the virus continues to spread in Ontario, emergency room services are facing increased demand for testing and screening for COVID-19. This means that alcohol poisoning and injuries sustained from intoxicated behaviour put unnecessary strains on emergency departments. Stay safe. Make good choices.

11. I am a Western student currently studying abroad. Where can I get information specific to my concerns?

Due to the global travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada on March 13, Western is now recommending students abroad return to Canada and encourages students to make arrangements to return as soon as possible.

The Public Health Agency of Canada is asking travellers returning to Canada from abroad to voluntarily  self-isolate for 14 days after your return from travel outside of Canada.

More information can be found at

For questions related to international student travel, please contact Western International at or 519-661-2111, ext. 89309.

12. I am an international student. Where can I get information specific to my concerns?

Western has transitioned several of its support services to be offered through a variety of remote technology, and has curated a variety of resources to support you. You can find out more at our Digital Student Experience website:

13. I'm struggling with this new online learning structure. How do I access support from Western for my well-being and academics?

Western has already transitioned several of its support services to be offered through a variety of remote technology. You can find out more at our website:

14. I am a graduate student/postdoctoral scholar/Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA). Who can I contact if I have questions?

15. How do I report an illness?

Beginning March 18, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. all Western students are asked to use a new, online Student Illness Reporting Tool to track and monitor illnesses, whether the illness impacts the submission of course work or not. This tool takes the place of the need to submit a medical note and the Self-Reported Absence System used by undergraduate students. For more information and to access the tool, please visit

16. Are campus eateries open?

17. How do I access the Office of the Registrar/Student Central services during this time?

The Office of the Registrar is currently operating virtually and Student Central has reduced in-person hours. Details and contact information can be found on the Registrar website.

18. What is happening with Summer courses?

Western’s Summer undergraduate courses will be delivered online in the same sessions they are currently scheduled (e.g. a 6-week Intersession course will continue to be offered online from May 11th to June 26th). 

In addition to all of the online courses the University normally provides in the summer, many courses slated to be offered onsite will be moved online as well.  The Affiliated University Colleges – King’s, Huron, and Brescia – will also deliver their Summer courses online. 

While we know that you will have many questions about what courses will be delivered in the Summer and how they will be delivered, please note that the University is working through the details and will provide additional information as it becomes available.

Note that alternatives are being explored for Dentistry and Nursing courses, which cannot be delivered online.

For more information regarding Summer courses, please visit

19. Is the UCC Pharmacy open?

Yes, the UCC Pharmacy is open, but with reduced walk-in hours: Tuesday and Thursday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Customers are to use Exit 27 near Student Health Services and Life Labs which can be accessed via a staircase on Concrete Beach or via the pedestrian tunnel under Oxford Dr., which is accessed between Lawson Hall and Somerville House. This entrance is accessible.

Whenever possible, please ask your doctor to fax (519-661-4092) or phone (519-661-4058) in your prescription to support physical distancing and avoid an unnecessary visit to the pharmacy.

The pharmacy will deliver prescription medication to your home for no additional fee. Please call 519-661-4058 to request this service. Note, clients will need to pay any charge for their prescription by credit card over the phone prior to delivery. The UCC Pharmacy will also deliver other items for sale at their pharmacy location to residential homes in London. Note, there is a $6.50 delivery fee for items that are not prescription medications. Clients will need to pay the item cost and delivery fee by credit card over the phone prior to delivery.

Prescriptions can also be picked up at the Plaza Pharmacy in Books Plus, at the corner of Western Rd. and Sarnia Rd., near Perth Hall. Plaza Pharmacy is open Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please call 519-661-4058 to request this alternative pick up location.

In addition, the UCC Pharmacy can transfer your prescription to any other pharmacy in Canada. To have your prescription transferred, please ask your new pharmacy to call the UCC Pharmacy at 519-661-4058 and request the transfer.

Please visit SouthWest Health Line’s website for a full list of pharmacies in London, which may have extended weekend and evening hours.

20. Is Canada Post in the UCC Pharmacy open?

No, the Canada Post storefront in the UCC Pharmacy is closed, effective immediately. Any mail or packages currently at the Canada Post storefront and awaiting customer pick up will be held until the storefront reopens. As a general policy, mail and packages are held for three months until they are returned to the sender. Canada Post has advised that any mail or packages shipped to the UCC storefront for customer pick up will instead be redirected to the Canada Post offices at Masonville Place or Cherryhill Village Mall, whichever is closer.

21. Western is currently operating with essential services only - why are construction workers still on campus?

The Provincial Government has included “construction projects and services required to ensure safe and reliable operations of critical provincial infrastructure” as part of their list of essential services. Several construction projects are continuing on our campus with the contractors ensuring workers on-site are practicing appropriate social distancing measures.

22. What is happening with Spring Convocation?

Western’s Spring Convocation is postponed as part of the University’s larger response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes all scheduled ceremony dates from May 22, 2020 through June 19, 2020. More information can be found at