MA, PhD (OISE, University of Toronto)
Undergraduate Chair, Associate Professor - Women's Studies and Feminist Research
Office: Lawson Hall 3234
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 86941
Mothering and motherhood; feminist and critical race theories; grief and violence, particularly as they impact the lives of African Canadians
- Lawson, Erica. 2013. Precautionary Measures: Caribbean-Canadian Mothers, Daughters, and Sex Education. In Dorsia Smith Sliva and Simone A. James Alexander (eds.), Feminist and Critical Perspectives on Caribbean Mothering, 118-128. Trenton, New Jersey: Africa World Press. (Book chapter).
- Lawson, Erica. 2013. "Disenfranchised Grief and Social Inequality: Bereaved African Canadians and Oppositional Narratives about the Violent Deaths of Friends and Family Members. Ethnic and Racial Studies (published online 24 May 2013).
- Lawson, Erica. 2013. The Gendered Lives of Seven Jamaican Women in Canada: A Story about ?Here? and There in a Transnational Economy. Feminist Formations, 25(1): 138-156.
- Verwaayen, Kim, Erica Lawson and Charmaine Crawford. 2013. Learning Exchanges: Searching Global Feminist Possibilities for Real Reciprocity in Study Away Opportunities for Students. British Journal of Arts and Social Sciences. (Open Access Journal). (30%) http://www.bjournal.co.uk/paper/BJASS_12_2/BJASS_12_02_05.pdf
- Lawson, Erica. 2012. "Single Mothers, Absentee Fathers, and Gun Violence in Toronto: A Contextual Interpretation." Women's Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 41(7):805-828.
- Lawson, Erica. 2012. "Feminist Pedagogies: The Textuality of the Racialized Body in the Feminist Classroom." Atlantis: Critical Studies in Gender, Culture, & Social Justice, 35(2): 107-117.
- Gardez, F., Calzavara, L., Husbands, W., Tharao, E., Lawson E., Meyers, T., et. al. 2008. "Experiences of and Response to HIV Among African and Caribbean Communities in Toronto, Canada AIDS Care: Psychological and Socio-medical Aspects of AIDS/HIV, 20(6): 718-725.
- Lawson, Erica. 2008. "The Politics and Pedagogy of Crash in the Postmodern Era: A Black Feminist Reflection." In Crash Politics and Antiracism: Interrogations of Liberal Race Discourse, eds. P. Howard and G. Dei (17-89). New York: Peter Lang.
- "Single mothers and 'absent' fathers: An examination of Media Coverage of Gun-related Violence in Toronto." Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Development, Barbados, February, 2012.
- "Immigration and Deportation Policies as Colonial Practice: A Look at Caribbean Immigrants in Canada." Re-thinking the Modern: Colonialism, Empire, Slavery, Birmingham, England, July 2012.
- "Globalization and Maternal Empowerment in Hard Times." Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association, Scottsdale Arizona, October, 2011.
- "Black Women as Public Intellectuals: The Case of the Seven Jamaican Women. Black Women as Public Intellectuals, Past, Present and Future." Symposium, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, October, 2010.